Menu
mcreese
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Caller ID Problem from VOIP Phone

I've been experiencing a problem with lack of Caller ID on incoming calls from my mother's phone which is set up as VOIP with a SIP provider.

The issue is that incoming calls to my Virginmedia phone do not display her number, and just show as International which causes a real problem as it's rejected by the call blocker.  The Caller ID however works fine to family and friends who have BT and Talk Talk lines, and the ID is also displayed on mobiles. 

It's also been tested ringing another friend who is with Virginmedia and has exactly the same problem as myself which suggests the Caller ID is not being passed correctly through the network from the VOIP phone. 

I intend to raise this with Virginmedia, however I don't expect a quick solution.  I hope I'm wrong.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller ID Problem from VOIP Phone

Best keep your expectations quite low for a resolution from VM to the missing caller ID problem!

What call blocker are you using? My trueCall unit has a feature, "Callers' Code", to deal with situations where the caller ID is mangled and/or missing. This feature is a 2-digit PIN you give out to friends and family and, when they are challenged by the call blocker, they enter the 2 digits and the phone rings straight through and bypasses the screening process.

Does your call blocking device have anything similar to that feature you could use in the meantime as a workaround?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The issue you have reported would be caused by the VOIP supplier not sending the number correctly across their network, I think it would be best to contact the SIP supplier at the first instance as it there system that should send the number correctly to the VM system.

If she calls your  mobile does the same happen, that is if you have a mobile ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mcreese
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The call blocker is part of a BT cordless phone, however he call blocker is not the problem. It's possible for my mother to announce her name which then rings us with a different ring tone we can then accept, however this is too much confusion for her as she's 93 and in care.
0 Kudos
mcreese
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I contacted the SIP provider some months ago who said the problem was not with them.

The caller ID is correct when ringing my mobile, and also friends who are on BT and Talk Talk, so the ID must be originated correctly I think.
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, similar past topics seem to have ended up bouncing back and forwards with BT phone product support saying it is a VM problem and VM simply saying their caller ID complies with the required standards.

Is your own VM phone plugged into a standard telephone wall socket or into the back of the VM hub with a 21CV connection?

There was a similar topic a few weeks ago here (for a connection from the back of the Hub)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/BT-Premiun-Phone-handset-Trucall-and-VOIP/td-p/43405...

The OP never fed back the final outcome but hints that some kind of improvement was made using a 'custom' configuration on the BT phone (where a response to each specific type of caller ID can be set) rather than the pre-set default configurations after speaking with the BT product support line.

You may need to wait for the forum team to respond with any further info. and advice. Sorry that's not more helpful.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi mcreese,

Thank you for your post.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

What I will do is private message you so we can look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos