cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display not working

VagoXD57
Joining in

Sorry if this is a repeat.

Caller Display on my PSTN landline stopped working in late August 2019.

Despite numerous calls to VM and the feature being deactivated and activated several times it is still not working. VM say it's the handset.

My Panasonic DECT is compatible with Caller display and used to display the number. I have even taken the handset to a friends house who is also a VM customer and tested it and it still works.

Where do I go from here? Any help appreciated please!

57 REPLIES 57

I assume you mean the purple envelope at the top right of the page. Just  done so nothing appears relevant. Is there another purple envelope?

Hi kayjaydee47

Can you try that envelope again please 

Gareth_L

Sorry Gareth, 3 of the messages are from 2019 and the last is another welcome one not an answer to the problem

That is very strange. I have just sent a private message again saying Test

Can you see if that arrives 

Gareth_L

Test received. However purple envelope not always available!

tjwbtn
Joining in

Same issue. Caller ID stopped working in January, thought it was a handset issue, but I discounted that by testing on a family members line. Caller ID is a critical function for me, please resolve ASAP. 

Hey tjwbtn, 

I can see that you have been in touch with the team today about this issue, have they been able to resolve this for you on your call?

Regards

Steven_L

JabeSmith
Tuning in

Well, this thread made for an interesting read...and ever-so-slightly depressing. And I simply no longer trust any comments made by either Customer Service or Technical Support at VirginMedia. So here is my sorry tale, in the vague hope someone from VirginMedia might care enough to actually resolve the issue.

The long and short is this:

• At some point in the last month or two we have lost Caller Id on our home phones - all we see on the phone is 'Incoming Call';
  • We have, until then, always had Caller Id (from the very outset of us contracting with VirginMedia);
  • We have a new Panasonic handset and base unit, which is DECT compatible and by default is Caller Id enabled;
  • I have spent the best part of 4 hours on the phone to VirginMedia:
    • Call 1: to Customer Service, who firstly told me that it wasn't available in my area, and then eventually put me through to Technical Support;
    • Technical Support tried running some tests but their "tools were offline" and so promised to call me back the next day. They never called back.
    • Call 2: to Customer Service, who eventually put me through to Technical Support;
    • Technical Support got 'shirty' with me telling me that I wasn't entitled to Caller Id / Caller Display and that they would have to put me back to Customer Service to have it enabled on my contract;
    • Customer Service told me there was no problem and it must be my handset and that I should call Panasonic.

So, in response to certain points:

1. "It's not available in your area": Wrong. My sister-in-law is a VirginMedia customer, lives one street away from us, and she has Caller Id.
  2. "It's a problem with your handset": Wrong. I took my phone and leads around to my sister-in-law's house, plugged in to her phone socket, and phone numbers showed correctly.
  3. "It isn't part of your contracted services": Wrong. We have always had Caller Id until a month or two ago.

And here's the other point: our phone stopped working entirely a couple of months ago. After lengthy debates with Customer Service, we eventually had an engineer visit. After checking everything in our house (all ok) he went to the big green box in the street and found the problem. Someone had unplugged our house and put our wire into a dead socket. So he plugged us back in, and we could make and receive calls.

Just no Caller Id.

If VirginMedia are actually watching this forum, please, please, please do something and re-enable Caller Id for our house.

Thanks. Rant over.

Hi JabeSmith,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Disappointing to hear that you have had several issues trying to get the caller ID back o your landline.

As you have been given several different scenario's I would like to take a look in to this further for you. I am going to pop ypu over a private message so we can take a look in to this for you.

Click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi

Really pleased everything is back up and running for you JabeSmith.

Glad to be of help with getting this call feature back on your line. If you need any further assistance please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi