cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Costs Over an Hour

Elleeross
Tuning in

I was 103 mins to an 0345 number. Have been charged £7.31.

Are we charged for the whole time not just the excess. I couldn’t have redialled as it was a complicated call to Senior Railcard Network Rail.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're charged for the time over 60minutes.

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/callcosts - 43 minutes (103-60) @ 17p/min is £7.31 exactly.

Posts all crossed while I was finding the PDFs to check... Edited to add, a very broad rule of thumb with "unlimited" call packages is...

Landlines will be unlimited upto an hour and charge beyond that. Mobiles don't tend to have any "redial to avoid charges" rule, but some network operators have an auto cut-off after a number of hours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Elleeross, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the charge you incurred for the call to an 0345 number. It's my understanding that if the call goes over an hour you would be billed for the whole call - apologies for any frustration caused.

If you think you may need to call such numbers like this again going forwards possibly it's worth looking into upgrading your phone package via your online account (virg.in/myVM) or by speaking with the teams on 150/ 0345 454 1111, or via text on 0753 301 6422.

Tom

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Elleeross wrote:

I was 103 mins to an 0345 number. Have been charged £7.31.

Are we charged for the whole time not just the excess. I couldn’t have redialled as it was a complicated call to Senior Railcard Network Rail.

Thanks.

The cost of the call is for the minutes after the first 60 minutes (assuming the first 60 minutes falls within your particular call package)

The rate is 17ppm so 17p x 43 min = £7.31 as charged.

See page 3 below

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/mobile-browse/downloads/010420_Eve...

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're charged for the time over 60minutes.

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/callcosts - 43 minutes (103-60) @ 17p/min is £7.31 exactly.

Posts all crossed while I was finding the PDFs to check... Edited to add, a very broad rule of thumb with "unlimited" call packages is...

Landlines will be unlimited upto an hour and charge beyond that. Mobiles don't tend to have any "redial to avoid charges" rule, but some network operators have an auto cut-off after a number of hours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your help. I’ll be very aware in future.