Menu
BriE
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call Blocking

I had a BT 8610 which worked OK then suddenly stopped working with call blocking on the Virgin line. An engineer came and replaced my box and disconnected my extensions. He said all was now OK but I could never get the BT 8610 to work on call blocking but it worked flawlessly on my daughters BT / Sky land line. So be aware, these phones may not work on a Virgin line and calling there support is a complete waste of time.

0 Kudos
chrisardy
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

We have been connected to the Virgin network and it's predecessors for over 22 years and used a number of different model phones from BT and other companies without any problems. As far as I am aware there is no difference in the technical specification for land line telephones on networks in the UK. The only requirement for call blocking phones is that you have caller display enabled from the network operator.

The BT 4600 phone comes out slightly better in the Which tests than the BT 8600 or 8610, but it is a lot cheaper. It is also probably more suited to older people as it has large buttons and screen and is hearing aid compatible.

0 Kudos
radaress
Joining in
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've just been looking into this phone and the details about it tell me I have to subscribe to a call blocking service with my service provider for it to work. As Virgin don't supply this, how does it work? Please can you advise.......

0 Kudos
chrisardy
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi radaress,

I think you have misread the requirements for this phone, you need the caller display service implemented by your service provider not call blocking. Virgin can provide caller display.

We have still not had one nuisance/cold call come through to us since connecting this phone, it is amazing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lesjwilding
Tuning in
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Isn't it about time Virgin caught up with the competition.  This thread started on 10/06/2016 ie 2.5 years ago.  Talk Talk have Call Safe, BT have Call Protect, Sky has Sky Talk Shield.  Clearly making money is all Virgin is interested in - protecting users doesn't seem to matter.

Time to move methinks

lesjwilding
Tuning in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hear Hear! All the major competitors have a feature, Virging is the only one who doesn't.
dles1966
Settling in
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone recommend a call blocker that works with Virgin land lines (the VoIP one connected to the Hub 3)?

Clearly Virgin do not want to provide a call blocking service (most competitors do)!

Transferred my number from TalkTalk with call blocking and I had not had a single nuisance call in 2 years since I had the service. When on Virgin, almost within minutes I received a nuisance call and they are increasing again. Clearly the call blocker from TalkTalk was doing a great job.

Good God Virgin pull your finger out!

chrisardy
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Not sure that a VoiP is a landline but the BT 4600 phone that I mentioned above is still successfully stopping all our nuisance calls and we have had it over 6 months now.

0 Kudos