cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burnside TX-2 fixed cellular terminal

vbcoen
On our wavelength

Engineer dropped this off along with a Hub 5 and some while and black cable for me to install the system as he is not allowed to use a ladder to cable up to a 1st floor.

I have worked out the Hub (which I will link to a Asus DSL AC68U via lan connection) likewise the lightning fuse box but what do I do with this Burnside unit that I was informed would allow me to still receive landline calls in the event of a power cut both at home (I use a 1000va UPS) and up the line (Cable) etc.  How does it wire in as it only seems to have a cable socket and the Hub only a IN socket ?

Is it of any use as it was supplied with a PAYG SIM card which I assume I do not need to bother to load with credit  .

Needless to say none of the equipment has any users manuals which does NOT impress me with Virgin !

No not yet connected up still some more DIY to go but hopefully will have wired up to the hub 5 and what a basic piece of kit it is but there is NO third party routers that also have telephone line sockets.

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Not sure how it has come to pass that you are doing a DIY installation as VM's T&Cs preclude this. VM tech's should be able to install to first floor locations AIUI.

By way of some additional info for you though, the TX-2 Burnside box is an emergency backup line (EBUL). In the event of a power cut the phone connection via the hub is likely not to work. The EBUL is provided to allow calls to 999 only via the mobile network. The EBUL plugs into the VM hub on TEL1 and your landline phone plugs into the EBUL. See pages 35 onwards in the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

Think the VM forum team need to look into what has happened here for you regarding your installation and remedy it for you with some urgency! I would suggest you wait for their reply before any further DIY activity.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post, vbcoen,

I have to agree with @goslow something here isn't making sense. No one should be leaving the install up to you to do for yourself. I'm also confused by the Hub 5?  I've sent you a private message to confirm your account details so I can forward them to the area field manager to get clarification what's going on.

Cheers,

Corey C

vbcoen
On our wavelength

Looks like the Hub is not a 5 but a 3 at best.

As soon as I move a tablet outside the roon signal strength drop to below 50 %.

Not very impressed !

Hi vbcoen thanks for coming back to us.

I am sorry to hear your WiFi signal is not very strong outside the room with the hub.  I'm assuming you've downloaded the connect app to test your signal?

Regards

Lee_R

Also, vbcoen, 

Please can you advise what led you to believe that you'd be getting a hub 5?  As this is quite concerning.

Regards

Lee

vbcoen
On our wavelength

Nope, was wrong it was not going to be a 5 as I am not going to convert to a business connection - too expensive for not a lot including improved wi-fi strength or not..

I tested hub3 using a wi-fi tester under Android and did the same using mobile phone (Samsung S10).

No have the hub 3 as a modem linked to a Asus RT-AX82U with an improved signal although I cannot get the AImesh subsystem to work with my old DSL-AC68U  using both as the master ?  I will contact Asus in due course.

Other wise system and service is fully operational just have to work out how to send the TX-2 to VM as I have no use for it,  and to tidy up the cabling around the wall edge etc.  Might even get a cheapo basic phone socket to.to wire in to the modem as I use two phones and it will remove need for a loose wire splitter..

Vince