cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being forced to change to VOIP?

Andaho
Tuning in

I'm being told by virgin staff on the phone that we have to change to the VOIP service, or we will no longer have a phone line.

This is massively inconvenient as I have my virgin hub (which I only use as a modem) at one end of the house, and the phone line, where the phone belongs, at the other side of the house.

I also want to continue using my own router.

I also have concerns about audio quality when the internet connection is bad, and not having a working phone in the event of a power cut or when the internet goes down.

Is it correct that VOIP is being forced upon customers that don't want to change?

75 REPLIES 75

@DavyCrockett wrote:

Thank you for that information, they are attached to the hub to the top port on the back of the little black router. 

but I was told by a guy in India that these receivers/phones will not work because they are not Voip phones  That apparently is the reason why my phones are not working and seem to be stuck. I can neither dial out nor listen to any messages, there is no dialling tone just this constant message ‘the line is in use a call cannot be made‘ The guy in India said it is because they are BT phones. They surely can’t be true. Help please

Your new phones should work fine with a connection to the hub via the RJ11 to BT socket adapter plugged into TEL1. As per bottom left picture at link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

This sounds like your issue needs to be looked at by the forum team so wouldn't waste too much time on it yourself but ...

If you are minded to do any further investigating yourself, what does the entry for 'Telephony' show when you log into the hub? Example

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/virgin-media-hub-3/setup-75194-large.htm

Do you still have your previous Panasonic phone system to plug that in by way of a check with another phone or even another simple corded phone to test with?

The tech support in India is a total ballache. 
the information they have is inacurate. 
Any standard telephone with a BT type plug will operate via the top plug and an adapter which should be provided as part of the install. 

so in basic terms, yes your 3 by phones should work no problem with telephone service via the hub. 

Hi DavyCrockett,

I'm sorry you're having some issues with the handsets, and I can appreciate you'd like to get this sorted out. 

Is the phone plugged directly into the hub or via an adaptor?

Can you check the manual for the phone to check if is VOIP compatible?

Let me know,

Thanks

Melissa

If a call is made but the OFF button not pressed on a cordless phone the line is not "in use" and another call cannot be made. Is this the case?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thank you Roger. I am not sure what exactly you mean by the off button. Is it the red one, that ends calls? I have pressed this but it makes no difference.

Dear Melissa, I have looked through the manual for the BT premium phone (with 100% nuisance calls blocking and mobile sink) I cannot find in the manual nor on the Internet anything in relation to VoIP. So I’m really not sure. If you have the name of it perhaps you will be able to help me. Many thanks

Also Mellissa I have just looked at the way in which the phone is attached to the modem. It goes via an adapter have about 4 1/2 inches long

So is this new system involving the phone being plugged into the hub one that we will all have to use in order to retain a landline?

If so, does the hub have to be left on for the phone to work 24/7?

If it's being rolled out gradually, when is it coming to GU postcodes?

Is it dependent in any way on wifi, which I do not use?

I chanced upon this thread by accident, and know nothing about this subject - should I?

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes by 2024 all UK phone networks will move over to a voip based system.

BT will be closing all the phone exchanges as well.

Its not really true voip in the sense people think of SIP it just uses the internet from your hub to carry the voice traffic and not from the exchanges.

you'll need the hub to remain on

Hope you will see my replies.  

Davy.