Menu
Highlighted
phubbs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BT and Virgin Media phone lines

Hi,

Because my mother has a warden alarm that connects to our existing BT phone I would like to retain the BT line because the suppliers of the alarm can't guarantee its operation with VOIP. The bundle I will be getting from Virgin Media includes TV, Broadband and phone, so my question is  - Is it technically feasible to run both BT and Virgin phones - I guess the Virgin phone would need to have a different number? If not could the Virgin phone be installed but not activated?

Because I will be having a bundle it would actually increase the cost significantly to remove the phone option.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Pete

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT and Virgin Media phone lines

It will work 100%

If you were getting a traditional landline over copper from VM, its separate infrastructure so BT line will still function.

If its VOIP, its separate infrastructure so the BT line will still function.

You can port the BT number to the VM line if you like, or leave as is- as those alarms generally dial out, it wont make a difference, as long as you tell the alarm company.

phubbs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your response - it's just what I was hoping for.

my gut feeling (which could be wrong) is that VOIP is not as reliable as traditional copper wire which is important when it comes to emergency calls.

Pete

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can get an emergency backup which runs the VOIP in the event of a power failure, but your plan is better for a couple of reasons.

Firstly worse case scenario the backup fails, your still goosed.

Second , VM landlines operate at a lower voltage than BT so some systems are fundamentally incompatible.

AFAIK the backup box is FOC for vulnerable customers, so it's worth checking and getting one anyway. Belt and braces and that...

0 Kudos
phubbs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers

Pete

0 Kudos
phubbs
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have a couple more questions:

If I keep my existing BT line, will the VM installers need replace/modify any of the existing sockets or cabling?

Also, do you know what determines the colour zone that you are in - do new installations tend to be purple zone?

Many thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi phubbs, 

Thank you for your post.

The engineer will install our own socket in the property. We wouldn't be able to advise at this point concerning cabling as the engineer would need to review that upon arrival. 

The colour zones change depending on the area. 

^Martin

0 Kudos