cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 0871 numbers included in Talk Weekends.

KevWW
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have talk weekends.

If I call an 0871 number on Saturday will I be charged for the call ?

Kind regards 

Kev.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

0871 numbers are not landline numbers but "service numbers" that will always be chargeable unless you have any add-on that specifically includes 084x & 087x prefixes.

Those service numbers will be charged in two elements - 1: An "access charge" which, in this case, VM charge, 2: A "service charge" set by the organisation you are calling.

VM's landline access charge is 17p/minute as per P5 of https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/mobile-browse/downloads/170622_Eve... 

The organisation you are calling is legally obliged to quote their service charge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

KevWW
On our wavelength

Thanks,

I've now discussed this with National Express coaches and they've apologised for giving me their chargeable nr, and given me their local rate nr, an 03 nr which I know is included in Talk Weekends.

It could of course be a genuine mistake by National Express, but my cynical self thinks otherwise lol 🙂

PS. I've also now found the pdf which details VM call charges for each package.

Cheers,

Kev

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any organisation is entitled to use 084 or 087 numbers for sales, but they are compelled by law to quote their service charge - NT Coaches fulfil that. The same regulations also oblige them to provide a standard-rate number for existing customer enquiries - 01, 02 & 03 landlines are all classed as "standard rate"

You could draw your own conclusions about any company that tries to charge "new" customers by using an expensive phone number, but that's another debate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

KevWW
On our wavelength

Thanks again, very useful info.

My enquiry did fall into the existing customer category, but they gave me the 0871 sales number.

I'll now use your advice if similar situations arise in future.

Kind regards,

Kev.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Kev,

You might find this site useful.

https://www.saynoto0870.com/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @KevWW thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I cannot offer any further advice than what the amazing japitts and newapollo have already given.  As ever, they've pretty much covered everything. 🙂  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R