cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After switch to fibre, phone no longer rings

DaveHarbud
Tuning in

I have plugged the phone into my hub, using the adaptor provided.  I have tested it and I can pick up and make calls.  The problem is that the phone no longer rings, which effectively makes it useless for incoming calls.  What can I do about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@DaveHarbud wrote:

It's around 20 years old

If it is early 2000's or before that is probably your issue.

The telephone master socket on the wall contains a component referred to as a ringing capacitor which used to provide the signal for phone ringing. This might be needed by some older phones. The hub does not have one as it is not required by new phones.

Some have reported on here that the following can be used to test the ringing and confirm the issue. By means of a test only, and at your own risk if you are confident to do so, do you happen to have an old ADSL microfilter to hand anywhere? If so, try connecting it in between the VM adapter to the hub and the phone. Hub > VM adapter > ADSL microfilter > Phone The ADSL adapter should contain a ringing capacitor. 

If it works that is your issue. Probably not suitable to leave the filter in place permanently as an ADSL filter is not designed for this type of connection. You can get adapters (RJ11 plug to BT socket) which have a ringing capacitor in. VM may be able to supply one.

Alternatively may just be time for some new phones. As suggested by Paul_DN, try and borrow a newer handset to test with to confirm.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it a really old phone?

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DaveHarbud,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear that since you have been upgraded to phone Via your Hub you can no longer hear calls coming in however you can make outbound calls, There are no "special" phones for 21CV. All that happens with 21CV is the twisted pair copper wire used with the old master socket is replaced with a socket on the hub. It is not internet based, so does not require an internet (or IP) standard phone. You should be able to use any landline phone purchased in the last few years. You can use corded handsets or DECT multiples. They should work in the normal way, you can find out more around our 21CV phone line here.

Regards

Paul.

If I call the phone from my mobile, the phone does not ring.  If, however, I pick the phone up, I can talk, so in theory I can get incoming calls.  It's simply that I can't tell I have a call if the phone doesn't ring, at least until the ansafone kicks in.  It really is not satisfactory

It's around 20 years old

The hub is a hub 3 in modem mode.  Do I need a more modern hub?

Hi Dave,

As the phone is 20 Years old I would advise trying a more modern one, maybe if you can try a friends or family members before purchasing one.

Regards

Paul.

@DaveHarbud wrote:

It's around 20 years old

If it is early 2000's or before that is probably your issue.

The telephone master socket on the wall contains a component referred to as a ringing capacitor which used to provide the signal for phone ringing. This might be needed by some older phones. The hub does not have one as it is not required by new phones.

Some have reported on here that the following can be used to test the ringing and confirm the issue. By means of a test only, and at your own risk if you are confident to do so, do you happen to have an old ADSL microfilter to hand anywhere? If so, try connecting it in between the VM adapter to the hub and the phone. Hub > VM adapter > ADSL microfilter > Phone The ADSL adapter should contain a ringing capacitor. 

If it works that is your issue. Probably not suitable to leave the filter in place permanently as an ADSL filter is not designed for this type of connection. You can get adapters (RJ11 plug to BT socket) which have a ringing capacitor in. VM may be able to supply one.

Alternatively may just be time for some new phones. As suggested by Paul_DN, try and borrow a newer handset to test with to confirm.

I replaced the phone.  Everything works.  Thanks

Hi @DaveHarbud,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm glad to hear that replacing the phone has helped to resolve the issue.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can assist you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!