cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapter to connect landline phone to new hub 3 I received today.

preep
On our wavelength

I need an adapter to connect landline phone to new hub 3 I received today. Phone was connected to wall socket however I was forced to have a new hub which I didn't want because they said no longer support this type of phone connection in my area and must have phone plugged in to the router. There wasn't one supplied in the box. Is there a quick way to request an adapter from Virgin without phoning customer services? TIA

83 REPLIES 83

preep
On our wavelength

When the admin team saw my message they arranged for the part to be sent to me. It was hand delivered by a passing engineer the next day! I was impressed! Hopefully someone will see your message soon🤞

Gareth_L / some one at VM help please!!

I need an adapter to connect landline phone to hub 3: its socket is not the same as on the wall nor the J11...

Can you post an adapter please? ?!

I have spent hours trying to get a reply from VM on chat, no success, what a disappointment...

Let's cross fingers, trying to sort via Chat has been a glorious disaster, they reply after hours and then attempt to connect you to technical teams...and then one needs to wait again...what a nightmare

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for teh post KGG1.

If the landline doesn't go into our wall socket it would be an updated landline version we have, this is where it would instead plug into the Hub.

Can you please try plug your handset into the Hub? If this is a different socket to what your landline has then we'd not provide an adapter as we use a landline plug socket for a standard landline phone. 

Thanks, Emily.

Dear Emily

Please note clarification (although I thought my case was same as the one I referred to):

- landline (cable from handset) goes well into (the classic) wall socket, but no signal received

- landline (cable from handset) does not fit onto the Hub.3 socket: this latter is the strange one (it is not either for RJ11 or the classic BT socket)

Can you provide adapter for the Hub3 to be able to receive RJ11 cable from handset or BT cable from handset?)

Thank you

Kostas

Emily

Is it below I need maybe?

"RJ45 to BT Socket Adaptor"

Can't Virgin advise any sooner on this simple question on the hardware they provide??!

thank you

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Posting a photo of what it is you are trying to connect may help. Are you trying to plug in a standard UK analogue telephone or something else?

The default VM setup is shown in the bottom left photo here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

The RJ11 connections are in the back of the hub marked TEL1. The BT telephone plug/socket are at the other end of the white adapter and the end of the line cord from the phone.

thank you,

but no need to follow your good instructions: I sorted earlier that Hub 3 has a RJ11 socket, while Virgin had provided RJ45 cable!!

I have now tried all combinations: via wall sockets & via router. No dial.

The  worse is VM customer support remain unreachable or non-existent; chat did not work, phonecall did not work, complaint notice did not work, and text did not work....

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I'm afraid you've pretty much confused me with your posts. If you are receiving your VM telephone service via the hub, the phone connection will only work in the RJ11 socket marked TEL1 by default. Plugging a RJ45 adapter from your phone into the other hub sockets will not get you a standard telephone connection.

Are you saying you now have the RJ11 to BT phone socket adapter, you have tried it in the back of the hub RJ11 socket and have no dial tone?

If so, have you logged into the hub and checked the status of the telephony service is enabled?

If you need the RJ11/BT adapter still, your quickest route would be just to buy a RJ11 to BT socket adapter online. If you don't want to do that, then hang on for a VM forum team member to respond to advise if they can arrange for one to be dropped off to you. They can take upto a week to reply.

Thank you for coming back, indeed it has been confusing to me as well as I was not aware of types RJ11 vs RJ45 vs..

I had a VM technician when I first moved in back in July and he did not check or advise about the phone.

I now have (not via VM) Rj11-RJ11 cable to connect phone to Hub

or alternatively RJ11 to BT cable  to connect phone to wall socket.

Neither works.

I have not logged into the hub, I do not know how to do it. Yes I could spend a few more hours to learn this myself as VM do not seem to have the resources to take of customers (try reaching help online or calling...)

Many thanks again.