Menu
Highlighted
bikerty
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

worth purchasing a Netgear XR500?

Hi All

Not always impressed by the performance of my Virgin media when gaming on PS4. Have noticed my connection hang far behind some other players.

Thinking of purchasing the Netgear Nighthawk XR500 but whilst some people say this makes a huge difference others seem to say that even in the modem mode that SH3 is still plagued by the same issues with the intel puma chipset etc. I don't want to spend £250 for no reason!

Anybody got any experiences that they could share?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Exil
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: worth purchasing a Netgear XR500?

I have the xr500 and personally id say its worth it decently reduces ping with the qos and geo filter usually with the hub 3 in a game like fortnite id get around 40-50 ping with the hub 3 in modem mode max ping i get is around 25 with geo filter set to a max range of 550 miles 

0 Kudos
ZiltoidRacer
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Netgear XR500 has DumaOS, right?

Great software, i run it on my NetDuma R1 & it keeps my network flowing when the are 2 of us gaming. If i had the funds i would get a newer router only if it ran DumaOS i like it that much...

0 Kudos
bikerty
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I purchased one yesterday and had it all set up within 30 mins so was pleased with that.

i was hoping to get a better ping but it’s actually risen slightly which is disappointing. I’m playing at apex at the moment and getting a ping of 30 where it was around 27 before purchasing the netgear. My friend is on talk talk and gets a 13 ping 😤

i am hoping to get a more reliable connection though as the test from think broadband pre the netgear showed some pretty big lag spikes, especially when gaming!

0 Kudos