cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your area is not oversubscribed...honestly"

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

6111a0c13ea93c15e0becf71519f283f8871222b-17-01-2022

Could somebody please explain how the clear spikes in latency at 3pm and 6pm do not correspond with oversubscription? The above is for today...how about a previous Sunday:

aab89f834d381548e03fc7c2581a87d11c2a746c-02-01-2022

I have been told repeatedly that the area is not oversubscribed. Can somebody from Virgin please explain to me why my connection becomes unreliable at the same time every day, especially on the weekends...

62 REPLIES 62

Hi TOGAPower,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

TOGAPower
On our wavelength

Is this considered within spec?

0f817dbcd69b61e25d2f59f88a4b0e7dec84e7e6-19-04-2022

It has been like this for the past two days - games are completely unplayable with lag spikes up to 300 ms consitently.

Hi @TOGAPower thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

The BQM levels there seem extremely high and not what should be shown. However, I've ran diagnostics for you there are no signs of any congestion on the line and also all power levels are within spec too which I didn't expect to see given the BQM levels.

However, your Hub doesn't appear to have rebooted within this time so can you please power off your Hub for approximately 30 minutes and then turn this back on again and see if this resolves matters?

Many thanks 

Tom_W

xia
Joining in

Same as the E4 9EN area.

It seems in pockets of E4 it is fine, but certainly NOT in my part.

I've had 2 engineer visits who both agree there is a issue with the equipment at the box (which is about 30 meters from my house) which is causing these spikes. However based on other "basic" readings "technically it is fine".

Both have promised that a networks team have been contacted and will look into it.

Now the good things. Both engineers were very competent and did as they said (I heard them call and communicate their area manager to escalate).

Was promised contact back, and a few months have passed and guess what? No contact.

The left hand isnt talking to the right hand in this company.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi xia, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing and that we have not been back in contact following a previous visit. 

I have taken a look from our side and currently, everything does appear to be running within specification with no errors. 

Could you please set up a BQM (broadband quality monitor) and post the results?

Thanks, 

Nat

Totally unusable all afternoon today. Any thoughts VM?

5892142dd8a990de26acec1d2b75d4e0db1113d3-04-09-2022

Well right now, I can’t see the image you posted until someone gets around to approving it, but I am going to work on the basis that it shows signs of high latency during peak times and falling off during the night and early hours of the morning? Am I right?

If this is the case, then you have had this issue since at least the start of the year, no? And nothing has actually been done? That’ll be because nothing really is going to be done, on the grounds that it is too expensive, and they don’t really care about your issues - and to be fair, you are still paying them each month, so exactly why should they?

Hi Toga,

Saw you mentioned you were in RG18 area, I am too, this was my BQM for today 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/439610a5cf831b766f95ffcdc97d8d8d08... 

Has it gotten noticeably worse for you in the last 10 days or so? Mine was okay for a while but has fallen off a cliff recently.

I am indeed RG18! All that you said is correct - it hasn't been too bad, but recently there has been a noticable decline in speed and latency. The last 2-3 days have been completely unusable for antything realtime (gaming, video calls, etc.).

Have you had any luck talking to VM?

No I haven't really spoken to VM, I've followed this forum for a while but it's gotten to the point now where the service is so bad that I need answers. I got to this point once before but then it did seem to get better so I left it. I see you've been having this battle for a while. Have you had people out to the house?