Menu
ozgurcan
Dialled in
Message 231 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Re: packet loss

packet loss is 0 but ping spikes are still happening once a while, but as i said i think thats just the hub3 because even before the problems there was still abit of lag 

0 Kudos
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 232 of 242
Flag for a moderator

BQM night 09-01-19.png

0 Kudos
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 233 of 242
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
KJDM
Tuning in
Message 234 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Still [Removed]. God, I really hate VM right now

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 235 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Yes for me Friday evening was bad, the network just couldn't cope, latency spikes were chronic last night leading to intermittent dropouts and errors on the modem

0 Kudos
stucla
Tuning in
Message 236 of 242
Flag for a moderator

How are things looking for you guys now?

For me, things are back to normal - spikes in ping are at around 140ms, which is functional for me.  I'm very disappointed by how this has been handled though by VM - nothing was ever stated on the status page about the problem in the 3 weeks that it was happening, and up until the final week people were still getting engineers around (as if this was ever an individual issue) to offer bogus suggestions.  Then, the problem it seems was fixed almost as soon as they started realising there was a problem - which makes me think if they monitored their network better they could have fixed this a lot quicker.

The lessons I've learnt are:

1. Don't pay any attention to the status page - if they say there are no problems in your area, it's probably still an area problem.  Use the forums, look for other people in your area with the same problem - if none exist post in your own thread (there may be lots of others out there with the same problem just looking).

2. Don't phone 150 - you'll get through to someone in India on a script who will at the most send an engineer around who unsurprisingly can't fix the area problem from your address.

3. Don't bother making a complaint using their website - it probably won't even be replied to (mine wasn't).  If you want to spend a lot of time on the phone to receive compensation that could be worth it, depending on your hourly rate, the package you have, and length of the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 237 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Yes been pretty normal, but there has been random latency spikes, resulting in Intermittent loss of service, but all packet loss seems to have been eradicated.

I would love an alternative to Virgin and I believe that will be happen If in the next 24 months or so, either through Vodafone gigabit or Hyperoptic and when that happens you will see a complete change in Virgins attitude, they will have to improve their equipment hardware specification to match that of competitors as gigabit connections and wifi mesh networks will become more prominent and affordable, let's  also not forget the 5g revolution that will offer speeds comparable to most landline providers today.

I have been called by Virgin today regarding my complaint and they tried to offer me a £30 credit, I said no I wanted the whole months reimbursed and made sure they were aware of my anger at their refusal to admit there was a problem, there is no change in sight for the foreseeable future in Virgins policy or attitude, they've completely dropped the ball as far as customer service goes and will suffer long term consequences as a result.

Thanks for updating.

stanlee
Tuning in
Message 238 of 242
Flag for a moderator

I complain weekly about this, refuse a engineer visit. No point wasting there time in my home when it's clearly the network at there end. But I may have found a temp quick fix until virgin sort this out. been testing for around two weeks and seems to sort it out for 3-4 days untill the issue slowly builds up again. I leave the hub on and remove the dB filter reattach the coax cable and raff around on the internet a little watch a video run a few speed Tests ect for half hour or so then restart it, on reboot run speed test and check think broadband checker 'thing' all is great. reattach the dB filter with the hub powed on doing that fixes my issue ever time. I doubt it's a coincidence or the reboot I tried to just reboot a million times doesn't help. Sort it out VIRGIN !

0 Kudos
ozgurcan
Dialled in
Message 239 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, just wanted to ask hows everyones connection is, mine is starting to act up again

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/440c6444565c54724eb7040a09946d5717c19bdb
0 Kudos
zooneylfc
Tuning in
Message 240 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Mine has been playing up in the last hour. BQM shows between 5-10% packet loss since 4pm.

Gloucestershire GL3 area.

0 Kudos