Menu
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 181 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Re: packet loss

ok I've been watching the network live and i'm seeing some very strange readings, chaos ensues at virgin, their network is a complete mess BQM night 07-01-19.png

0 Kudos
ravinestan
Tuning in
Message 182 of 242
Flag for a moderator

@Catchers wrote:

So, I went online at around 1830 and the recent problems seemed to have gone away. No rubber banding, no lag. Until 2 minutes ago where it went back to how it was. I’m not sure if this is connected but I’m worried it was a short lived fix. 

Yeah I guarantee you nothing was changed. There are moments on the BQM you can see maybe an hour or two of relatively good internet but then it just goes back to normal. See BQM.

bqm07012019.png

flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 183 of 242
Flag for a moderator

I've received an automated response from CEO Tom Mockeridge

Hi Paul, 

We would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us today.

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy and we will endeavour to resolve your issues as soon as possible.  

Tom is currently not available to deal with your complaint personally, however we have passed your email onto a member of his team, and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible in order to assist you with your queries.

We look forward to discussing this matter with you in the future.

Kind regards, 

Reshma Sayed

On behalf of Tom Mockridge

Standard reply with a complaint number, I expect nothing to happen

flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 184 of 242
Flag for a moderator

My morning BQMBQM morning -08-01-19.png

0 Kudos
MuL
Tuning in
Message 185 of 242
Flag for a moderator

I was in Scotland for few days, came back to London yesterday, went for the restaurant, did enough things to forget about our packet loss issues you know.

How sad I am now I can see our dudes from Virgin didn't find the rogue cable yet. I have so many question in my mind about this rogue cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 186 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Good morning everyone I've just had the Virgin service engineer around, all good my end, levels normal, speed normal, network showing no faults, he has acknowledged the packet loss and I've got it in writing on his checklist sheet, he has advised that Virgin tried to increase their capacity just before xmas and its been since then that there has been a problem, all problems before that were probably down to congestion on the network, all four of his calls today have all been for the same issue (packet loss) the problem is affecting N1, N7, N8, N15, N16, N19, E8 and he was very honest about the course of action as it stands, his manager is collecting data from all those affected and will be sending a report to the network team, it could take up to 10 days for a response, this issue could be more than just area 15 related and there has been talk that they may have to switch of the network and do a complete reset, as they're having difficulty isolating the fault, this was all an attempt to increase network capacity for the holidays and they failed miserably, he has left me his number and asked me to give him a ring if there has been no fix after 10 days, the only positive to this is you can remove yourself from your contract without penalty following the route laid out on page 10 of this thread.

So there we have it, i'm not sure about the network capacity increase but it does correlate to when my issues started, and the sudden change in line quality.

I will be making a decision in the next couple of days about switching provider or even just getting a cheap 2nd line for contingency purposes such as these.

I will continue to post my BQM's 3 times a day and hope everyone doesn't get too frustrated with this issue, as its not a quick fix

Jonny-M
Tuning in
Message 187 of 242
Flag for a moderator

I may be being thick but if this is an interference issue somewhere then can't they just book in outage windows from say 2am to 5am, and split the coax network in half to see which half the problem is in? Then split that half in half until the segments get smaller and smaller? It can't be a faulty network device because it wouldn't take a month to find a router that was dropping packets all over the place.

Perhaps Virgin don't have a clear picture of the coaxial network topology and that's delaying work?

0 Kudos
flexipaul
On our wavelength
Message 188 of 242
Flag for a moderator

You assume this is a cable issue, if you read my post the engineer told me they tried to Increase the network capacity just before Xmas and something went wrong. And it's been problems ever since.

0 Kudos
andf
Dialled in
Message 189 of 242
Flag for a moderator

I am repeating myself, but I would be surprised if this issue was related to a faulty cable.

It first appeared on December 23rd, so it matched what flexipaul reported: the problem is likely related to a change implemented on the VM's Core Network.

It seems that VM have a faulty new device or they screwed up their configuration big time.

It is common in the IT world to have a change window late at night; what it is not common it is refusing to acknowledge a glaring issue affecting your (paying) customers.

ozgurcan
Dialled in
Message 190 of 242
Flag for a moderator

**bleep**, so we have engineers saying something else then mods saying its fixed what kind of bs of a company is this, seems like i will have to go back to adsl then

0 Kudos