cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nslookup to subdomain gives default virgin DNS server IP?

Sandwich247
On our wavelength

I'm trying to get my minecraft server to be reachable through my domain name, as opposed to needing to connect with the IP and port.

I think I've done everything correctly on configuring the A and SRV records for my DNS provider, but it doesn't seem to be working

Running nslookup minecraft.sandwich247.com gives

Server:  194.168.4.100
Address: 194.168.4.100#53

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    minecraft.sandwich247.com
Address: 77.88.72.13

If I run nslookup -type=SRV _minecraft._tcp.sandwich247.com then I get

Sever:   192.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
_minecraft._tcp.sandwich247.com service = 0 5 25565 minecraft.sandwich247.com

Authoritative answers can be found from:
minecraft.sandwich247.com internet address = 77.99.72.13

If I run nslookup -type=SRV _minecraft._tcp.minecraft.sandwich247.com then I get

Server: 194.168.4.100

** server can't find _minecraft._tcp.minecraft.sandwich247.com: NXDOMAIN

If I use a port checker to see if minecraft.sandwich247.com has port 25565 open, then it says it's closed, but checking with the IP says it's open.

Is this something I need to speak to virgin about? I'm unsure where I'm going wrong with things.

- I try my best OTL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sandwich247
On our wavelength

RIGHT!

I did everything correctly, it's just my IP had changed from ending in 13 to ending in 12 :facepalm:

Looks like I need to double check the cron job I have set which calls the API for my DNS Provider which *should* be automatically updating the IP address it links to 😕

- I try my best OTL

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Sandwich247
On our wavelength

RIGHT!

I did everything correctly, it's just my IP had changed from ending in 13 to ending in 12 :facepalm:

Looks like I need to double check the cron job I have set which calls the API for my DNS Provider which *should* be automatically updating the IP address it links to 😕

- I try my best OTL

Hi Sandwich247, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you were having an issue. I'm glad you've been able to get things resolved. 

If you do have any further issues, pop back and let us know. The Community has a wide range of people who can help with almost anything and everything 🙂

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs