Menu
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

new install - High Ping Hub 3

Hi All

Just had Virgin installed over the weekend, I came from SKY Fiber MAX. 

This was my BQM on sky, 

2495b0a035d5d7e69de96f23ff6e73ea64fad9bf-08-11-2018.png

This is my new virgin

4b5e87c424afcafa47df7c314d26a8020b40966d-12-11-2018.png

I have read a lot in forums about the problems RE: Intel Puma issue which is one of the reasons I have the hub in modem mode connected to a PC running PFSense. 

Apparently this was fixed with a firmware update that I don't yet have, V 9.1.116.608, as below I appear to be missing the .608

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.116V

Is there a way to force this update, either via resetting or Virgin pushing the fix to the router/modem?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: new install - High Ping Hub 3

you can try rebooting the hub a couple of times that may get the update - if not there is nothing you can do but wait for VM to push it to your area - afaik users on 350 get it - but not in all cases - on speeds slower than that its if and when

Tony
0 Kudos
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, 

Thanks, I will try a few reboots, however, just a sit and wait for someone to push a button, isn't my style of approach and isn't the service Virgin advertise. Hopefully someone from virgin support can assist else I'll give them a call in a few days and discuss my new contract.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Dogbert wrote:

Hi Tony, 

Thanks, I will try a few reboots, however, just a sit and wait for someone to push a button, isn't my style of approach and isn't the service Virgin advertise. Hopefully someone from virgin support can assist else I'll give them a call in a few days and discuss my new contract.

if it does not auto update you are wasting your time asking for it to be pushed - they cannot/will not do it 

Tony
0 Kudos
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Like i say, see if I get an official response on here, and if not discuss with them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Dogbert wrote:

Like i say, see if I get an official response on here, and if not discuss with them.

you can wait - they get to threads in a week or so - if they prove my answers wrong all well and good but i think you will find the VM people say the same

if you ring you are likely to get offshore and their knowledge of 608 varies from - there is no 608 to anything they can think of to get rid of the problem that is not covered by their script

but if what you have is not good enough for you then keep your eye on the date - 14 days is all you have to cancel - theres no leeway if the connection is working and not having 608 is not a reason they accept as a problem

you dont say what speed you are on - if its 350 the maybe 608 is possible but only if its in your area - they will not push it to one MAC address afaik

Tony
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When Virgin Media closed the mega thread about the Puma 6 problem they advised that the new firmware resolves the problem and anyone who still hasn't got it should create a new topic. But those who have done that have been ignored and never received any response. 

The new firmware was limited to 350Mb at the beginning of the roll out, but later pushed out to all tiers. 

0 Kudos
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm on 200. That's great customer service then.... I nearly cancelled my order on learning about the problem but as also read there was a firmware fix i continued. no doubt they don't subscribe to consumer rights either, it's not of satisfactory quality unless they can show that other routers produce the same results/problems, and as its documented that there is a problem and there is a fix it's hard to argue otherwise. 

0 Kudos
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

cje85, thanks for confirming that, I was sure that is what i read pre-install. 

I will try a few reboots and hope for the best (any advice as to the best way to do this?), failing that waste some time on the phone later in the week. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Dogbert wrote:

cje85, thanks for confirming that, I was sure that is what i read pre-install. 

I will try a few reboots and hope for the best (any advice as to the best way to do this?), failing that waste some time on the phone later in the week. 

do post back what offshore say when you ring - its always worth hearing their BS

Tony
0 Kudos