cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem mode

cd99
Joining in

Wouldn't putting virgin media hub 3.0 into modem mode cause extra lagg?

15 REPLIES 15

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Not measurably.  The overwhelming majority of latency is driven by internet traffic routing and switching and that tends to be stable at about 20ms, plus the locally variable radio frequency aspects of VM's networks, which adds the yellow fringe on a BQM. 

Normally latency (lag) problems are on the VM RF side of things.  All that modem mode does is to bypass the hub's built in (and under-powered router) with a competent product you've provided yourself.  Usually gets you a more capable router and better wifi, possibly gives the hub's CPU more time for DOCSIS signal processing, but you'd not expect to see a measurable change in latency.   

....and dont forget VMs hidden prioritising of data packets.

I remember working with Edward Aresto may moons ago due to VMs traffic shaping methods by which TCP was always pioritised over UDP, it is primarily UDP packets that gamers use and at the time they were way down the priority list so i am sure you can imagine the latency then. Now it seems FTP/SFTP is down the list lol

Doesnt m350 gamer package priotitze the correct packets?

@cd99 wrote:

Doesnt m350 gamer package priotitze the correct

No it doesn’t, indeed I’m not sure that the ‘Gamer Package’ actually does anything other than be a marketing term! 

i remember tehm saying there was some priority with the gamer package when they advertised it as a gamer package.

@cd99 wrote:

i remember tehm saying there was some priority with the gamer package when they advertised it as a gamer package.

I suspect that might have been not entirely truthful, the underlaying DOCSIS technology doesn’t actually allow such a thing - well at least not in the past.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can game fine on 100M VM know this but how else are they to sale a faster package if they don't try.
---------------------------------------------------------------

@jem101 wrote:

@cd99 wrote:

I suspect that might have been not entirely truthful, the underlaying DOCSIS technology doesn’t actually allow such a thing - well at least not in the past.

DOCSIS does support that. Phone service through the cable operator is an example of that. It is not likely to be the case here, though. Cable operators will deploy Low Latency DOCSIS in the coming years, which will give access to a "gamer profile".

I got a tp link archer vr2800 laying around doing nothing.

Could I connect this router to virgin media hub? Im not doing it for the wifi boost, but for the features on the tp link router.

Would I be able to use the tp link router and all its features, or it be limited to only wifi?