cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet drop outs consistent & frequently

badrobot91
On our wavelength

So i been having internet issues for about a year now and i had a number of engineers come out and tell me different things e.g. a faulty wire, the box outside flooded, my device not being compatible which has to lead me to purchase things like ethernet cards etc.. 

i have VM 600 hub 3. which is in modem mode. i was told the hub wasn't strong enough so i purchased a ASUS RT-AX86U 5700 Dual-Band + WiFi 6 Gaming Router.

my router is in the next room but i was advised to use a cabled connection so i purchased a cat8 cable that runs directly from my PC to the router. 

i originally had around 20 devices on my router to be told this was to much even on the ASUS router which on the asus router says it can handle up to 35+ so i managed to cut the number of devices on the router by half taking my smart home offline.

regardless i have frequent connection losses that last anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, which is enough to kick me out the game. i enjoy playing overwatch which isn't a highly demanding game but it got to a point where i can't even stay in a lobby. This also affects discord i will often lose connection while in voice chat. 

I been keeping a record of my internet speeds using speed tester and my internet speed (wired connection) are constantly all over the place one minute it at 60 next 500, it bounces around never having a consistent number or at least ballpark. 

i tried talking to VM over text chat and every time is painfully slow, calling is much faster and easier but all i ever get is "there nothing wrong with the connection if the issue continues they will send an engineer out". 

i read through the community chats and i see people with the same or similar issue but i never see a resolution. could some please advice.  

37 REPLIES 37

Hi @badrobot91

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

badrobot91
On our wavelength

The forum page is much better than calling or going into a text chat, whenever I use them all they can do is run a troubleshoot which always ends with "everything seems to be working fine" because the method they use is not able to see all the issues. I learned a fair bit coming into the forum group such as the BQM so I myself can troubleshoot things a little. the forum service can be a little slow having a day or 2 for the VM to get back to you but overall much better to help you get a better diagnosis of the issue, in my case I'm not sure what VM did to help solve the issue but it gives them a better idea what to look for because sending out an engineer doesn't always help. 

Glad to hear all is working and resolved for you now @badrobot91

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

All the best,

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/699dafa79efb38b537510d07a52f84e6f2...

So after a day or 2 of having hardly any drop out It starting to become more frequent again. 

As I just had an engineer come out and tell me there nothing wrong with my equipment what the next step? VM could you please send out an area manager as it clearly not my in home connect that's an issue. 

Hello badrobot91

Sorry to hear the issues have started to appear again with your connection, from looking at the connection there does seem to be some problems with the power levels for your Hub's DownStream channels. This will require another technician visit but I will request a senior technician attends to look into this.

You can find the details of the visit here and there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Rob

Hi issue has been back for the last couple of weeks and has gradually been getting worse it is back to the point where i can't stay connected within a session. it kinda getting ridiculous now where we had several engineers and senior engineers come out and tell me different things, and that there is actually nothing wrong with my equipment.(the last people out even fitted a new cable that leads out of the house) I have done everything physically possible on my end spending hundreds of pounds trying to get just a more stable connection. feel free to read through the older pages of this form as its the same ongoing problem. please fix 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @badrobot91

Sorry to hear about this, I am going to drop you a private message to collect some more details to have this resolved. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs