cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox says No for Wifi, No for ethernet, Yes for android Hotspot

jennifersmith74
Tuning in

Hi, I am trying to set up a new Xbox one console but although we can get a wired connection (shows in router management page as connected) Xbox says it is not connected with the usual network issue error codes.
Trying to connect via wifi it says there is an issue with the modem/router. With hints on opening ports etc. All would lead me to believe that the problem is with the Xbox but then as a last resort I hot spotted from my phone and that works perfectly. 
I have tried 5g 2.4g I have tried removing the wifi security, setting the mac address a reserved IP address, Manual setting on the Xbox and automatic settings, resetting the Xbox and all the usual troubleshooting tips Microsoft provide for powering down etc and I have tried (complete novice at this) to open the ports on the router following the lost provided by Microsoft typing the same port number in each of the four boxes selection UDP or TCP as appropriate and selecting on in the final section. Not sure if maybe I have any of that wrong. Still no joy. 
As a final gasp, I did a factory reset of the hub (sorry should have said it's a hub3) allowed it to update and repeated the above steps. 
I am all out of ideas, surely if the Xbox was failing it wouldn't use the phone's hotspot, so it must be a router or virgin issue? Your help is appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out. 
Thanks, Jenny

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps step back as you have made changes to the Hub etc.  Try the following with a known good Cat 6 cable.

Do a full 60 second pin hole reset and do NOT power the Hub off afterwards, just let it do it's thing and settle for 10 minutes or so.

Do a Factory reset on the XBox.

Connect the XBox and Hub via the cable, it should get an automatic DHCP address and work?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I tried this last night after posting and again the Xbox claims it is connected until it reaches the testing connection phase where it says check your router. I can ping the Xbox at this step and there is a zero packet loss and 3.0ms speed. As everything had been reset and all possible caches wiped I went on to try wifi connection, no changes there either.  Reconnect to phone hot spot back on and it works perfectly. 

Since the previous post, I have also tried with port forwarding active but UPnP off / on
Port forwarding active firewall on and off 
Using the Xbox IP address as a DMZ with no port forwarding 

If I were to replace my router with another brand to see if it was simply a virgin vs my hub issue, what should I buy? To make things slightly more complex should I ever win this battle the Xbox will relocate to my son's room which connects via a second router used as a switch. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jennifersmith74 wrote:

<snip>
If I were to replace my router with another brand to see if it was simply a virgin vs my hub issue, what should I buy? To make things slightly more complex should I ever win this battle the Xbox will relocate to my son's room which connects via a second router used as a switch. 

I don't think another router would fix this as it should work with the Hub.  There are many XBox users on the VM network with working setups.  Have you tried removing the second router from the network?  It may be issuing an incorrect IP address to the XBox or something?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kudos there indeed unplugging the second router did give us some patchy ethernet coverage very unstable and dropping in and out but there, no idea why as the second router has no DHCP capabilities wasn't connected physically to anything and had its wifi switched off. The simple case of it being connected by ethernet to the main router was part of the problem. So onwards with that challenge as I need to have reliable coverage in the annexe bedroom, I will try powerline adapters instead, and buy a new cat3 cable for the second router in case time has decayed the extension. Thanks for the help. 

I'm wondering if this could still be a porting issue that the ports may be blocked on the second router despite my having opened them with virgin but haven't yet had the opportunity to look into its settings to see if opening ports are even an option on it. 

Something's not right with your setup, but what that is, I don't know.

The simplest way to get an Xbox online for both wired and wireless connections is to use automatic IP on the console (Xbox's default network setting) and UPnP enabled on the router (no need to mess around with port forwarding then, and I think this is enabled by default on a Super Hub).

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Hi @jennifersmith74 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're having issues setting up online gaming.  Have you already taken steps to buy the powerline adaptors?

Regards

Lee_R

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jennifersmith74 wrote:

Kudos there indeed unplugging the second router did give us some patchy ethernet coverage very unstable and dropping in and out but there, no idea why as the second router has no DHCP capabilities wasn't connected physically to anything and had its wifi switched off. The simple case of it being connected by ethernet to the main router was part of the problem. <snip>

If it is connected via ethernet and powered on it must be doing something amiss.  A second router should be set to "Access Point" mode for your case.  That way you can use it as a switch and a wifi access point.

What is the make and model of the other router ?  Also cables should be Cat 6 preferably and I wouldn't bother with powerline adapters if you can get the second router working in Access Point mode.

Hi @jennifersmith74

As @Adduxi has recommended, you should not require powerline adaptors.  Sorry I did not explain myself in my previous post.

Regards

Lee

Thank you for your help, So by using the powerlines we already had I can confirm the cable is fine and that the Xbox will connect a bit spiky in speeds, not the best but connects, by moving the router in here and using it as a through point for my pc the set up on the router is working fine (DHCP off, mac has static ip address on the main router). The problem now is that because I can only get the virgin hub to accept the Xbox after a hard reset I cannot have a static ip address for the second router to connect the Xbox too or the Xbox will not connect again. I have 10 ethernets connected via switches and powerline adapters to my main router and 15+ wireless devices using those switches and main routers wifi it gets messy without statics. But regardless to how it is connected to the router should it drop the connection or be unplugged, it will only reconnect after a factory reset. I am literally changing nothing at this point beyond the administrator password and wifi password so it isn't a conflicting settings issue and as the only device connected it still will not connect before a hub hard reset. (if only a simple off and on again would work). I really could use having full hub capabilities again.
Thanks for all your help, at this point at least if I cannot fathom this routers issue with the Xbox when in the annexe I can at least replace it with a switch and use the powerline adapters to provide him with wifi just leaving us with limited use of the hubs identifiers.