Menu
Highlighted
olliebhag
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wondering about hub 3 latency issues

I was thinking about moving to virgin but I've heard about the terrible superhub 3 wifi performance and latency issues. Has anyone used modem mode and used another router and found that it fixes the latency issues/had it fixed by an update? I probably won't move to virgin unless the latency has been fixed

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wondering about hub 3 latency issues

I haven't used the Hub 3 in router mode so can't comment on my personal experience with that, however I have it in modem mode with a Ubiquiti USG currently and the latency is stable with no issues evident in gaming or VoIP applications and very minimal jitter.
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The latency issue did exist, but was fixed by a firmware rollout over a year ago - surprising many of us who didn't believe that they'd be able to fix it through firmware.  The Hub 3 is still a lacklustre router in many ways, but probably no worse than any "free issue" router you'll get from an Openreach ISP.

The Hub 3 and/or DOCSIS technology still appears to leave a residual jitter very slightly higher than a good quality Openreach line, but we're only talking a difference of perhaps 7 ms.  Since your reaction time to a game event + ping is going to be around 250-350 ms* then 7 ms is neither hear nor there.  I'd say join VM if you don't mind the high out-of-contract prices, and if you really need the speed.  But since online gaming and Twitch streaming is going to use less than 5 Mbps put together, VM's headline speeds of 300-500 Mbps aren't going to help your gaming. If the speeds of VM sound tempting, ask yourself what you need that for?  A 4K movie stream is about 15-25 Mbps, an HD movie about 5, game playing about 2, outbound streaming is about 3 (but doesn't come out of your download speed anyway) - how much bandwidth do you really need?  And talking of upload, most Openreach ISPs offer better upload speeds than all but the fastest and most expensive VM contracts, because of that DOCSIS technology.

However, if you have a noticeably slow or unreliable Openreach connection, then VM will probably seem a near perfect service, where (in my twenty five years experience) things rarely go wrong.  Unfortunately, if and when they do go wrong, be aware that despite some good UK staff, VM's overall customer service is poor, the offshore telephone support has reputation for awfulness, and the online chat has the lowest availability of any service I've ever encountered.  If you're currently with Talktalk, Sky or BT they're much of a muchness for shoddy service - for all of the big companies, most of the energies get poured into sales and marketing, operations comes a poor second, and customer service well behind that. If you're currently with somebody who values customer service (smaller ISPs like Zen or Aquiss) then VM might come as a bit of a shock.

Choose wisely!

* Plenty of "test your reaction" sites available to confirm how quickly you react to an on screen stimulus.  Best avoided, because the numbers are usually depressing.

0 Kudos
olliebhag
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that was very helpful Smiley Happy my friends say that their virgin internet is down all the time so the experiences seem to be very inconsistent. I was thinking of joining them for their higher speeds for downloading things, as well as their better tv offering than BT tv. Glad to hear that the latency issue has been fixed but I'd still like to know other peoples thoughts as the experience seems to be quite inconsistent for different people. I know i dont need speeds of over 100 etc but the fact that we are able to get it makes me think that i should make the most of it if its there

0 Kudos