Menu
pipstaa94
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection disconnecting

For the past few months anything connected through Ethernet cable keeps losing connection every 5 minutes or so.

My wireless connection is fine the only issue is with the wired connection.

I have tried many different cables to see if it is a cable issue but the problem still persists.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired connection disconnecting

Have you tried switching the hub into modem mode & checking how the connection behaves?

0 Kudos
pipstaa94
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have not tried this being as i use both wifi and wired connections.

0 Kudos
pipstaa94
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I tried it in modem mode and i didn't disconnect once, i cannot keep it in that being as i use wireless as well, any solutions?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Get your own router with 1Gb ports and use modem mode on the hub.

trekrich
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

have you tried another computer over wired, just to see how it works then. It could be an issue with the ethernet card on your machine. They can go faulty, we have had some at work go like that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie-Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Black/dp/B010SEARPU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Something like this could be useful for trying if you dont have another computer with an ethernet card in it.

Richard

shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As you've stated it works fine in modem mode (which would kind of rule out the network card itself) & you've tried other devices which drop when in router mode via ethernet, then I'd probably buy a new router as Legacy1 suggested & leave it in modem mode, or you can always report it faulty & ask for a replacement hub & see if a new hub sorts it out & saves you a few quid first?

0 Kudos
trekrich
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

well it disconnected once, so it could still be the nick card. Without another computer to try it on, its either the nick card. Or the cable modem. My money is on the cable modem!

0 Kudos
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I reckon it's the hub too, especially if other devices connected wired drop out too & the WiFi stays fine Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
trekrich
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

having just joined VM today, first thing i did was put it in modem only mode. Should VM replace it if its dodgy. When i put mine in modem only mode i used port 1. What if his port 1 is causing issues? Putting it in modem only mode might not fix it?

0 Kudos