cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired Ethernet cutting out after 10mins of gaming

SamOndercin
Joining in

Hi, my wired ethernet cuts out after about 10mins of gaming and comes back after about 5-10 seconds. After the initial cut out it's fine for the rest of the session. It's started about 2 weeks ago and has been consistently happening every day.

I'm on the M500 package if that's relevant.

Thanks,

40 REPLIES 40

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm currently using a cat7 cable and on the hardware and connection properties my link speed is 1000/1000 as of right now. The DHCP lease does seem to be changing frequently 482bf28976baffd701ae2d71909d12c8.png idk if this is normal but I did reset the internet and also changed the Ethernet port on the hub itself.

A good idea is to update my BIOS since I haven't done that for a while now (I'll do this today). Also my motherboard is on the cheaper side so it only has one ethernet port this could be a issue but I don't think there's a way to tell. 

Also I already changed the power management mode, energy-efficient ethernet and green ethernet and that didn't fix anything (also for some reason these settings rest after restarting my PC not sure why)

Hi SamOndercin,

Thank you for the continued updated with the issue you're having. 

I have checked over on our system and I cannot see anything in relation to the issue. 

It has been some days since you have updated. Can you confirm how your service currently is?

^Martin

Yeah, after making some changes it’s been great but it’s only been 2 days, i’ll give you another update after a week or so. 

Please do SamOndercin, In the meantime, Happy gaming. 

Gareth_L

Quick update, after making some changes including updating BIOS and disabling all power saving settings in device manager/network adapters the issue seemed to be fixed until 2 days ago when it started happening again. I've noticed as soon as the disconnects happen the Lease Obtained and Lease Expires times reset. After a quick google it seemed as the issue could be caused by having too many devices connected to the network. The site recommended disconnecting all devices so I changed my Wi-Fi password to disconnect everything. I'll give an update if this helps. 

Hi SamOndercin

Did the disconnect work? 

Keep us posted if you need further assistance 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

So a quick update, once again the issue seemed to be fixed but the same thing started to happen again today. Cutting out every hour or so even just browsing the web. At his point I don't really know what the issue could be I've seemingly tried everything possible with no avail. Every time the reset happens my DHCP lease expires and renews as shown below. I assume this is somehow the issue I'm just not sure how to fix it.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 June 2022 16:00:37
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 June 2022 20:32:35

Hi @SamOndercin
Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry it's not resolved for you.
You do need a technician visit from the system check I have done. This is because on the downstream levels, the SNR (signal to noise ratio) is low as are quite a few of the other stuff on the downstream channels. I'll PM you now to get some details and book this in 🙂
Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @SamOndercin
Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in for the upstream issues (meant upstream in original reply), this will be viewable in your online account - virg.in/myVM - where you can track, amend and cancel the visit if needed.
There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Let us know how the visit goes 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Any joy on your internet issue ?