cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

Abdul_123
Joining in

Hello virgin media my wifi keeps saying can’t connect to wireless network every time I try playing games on my Xbox I constantly lag I have 6 family members connected to the wifi so maybe 13/14 devices connect depends what device they are using could you PLEASEEE give me advice on how to stop this lag I thought of using a wifi extender and using the Ethernet on that but I’ve heard that it messes up the router what shall I do to stop the lag 

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a better Wifi router with 1Gb ports put hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Abdul_123,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're facing some issues with your Wi-Fi connection recently. Are these ongoing today? If so, is anything reported here?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you're sharing the WiFi from a VM Hub with so many other users, you must expect poor gaming performance.

A better WiFi router will improve matters, but the only real solution is to use an ethernet connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ahh the only problem with using Ethernet is just that the VM hub is Wayy too far from my room 

Hi Abdul_123, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

If the hub is too far away then we can look at moving the hub to a more central area however there would be a charge of £25 to do this. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection too, some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so if you don't want to move it then we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here.

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs