cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi worse since being moved to quieter lane

juliemaddison
Joining in

Unable to play multiplayer due to high ping since virgin detected WiFi traffic jam and moved us to quieter lane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If I might respectfully offer a different opinion, gaming over wifi is eminently possible if the wifi is working well, and in my observation the additional few milliseconds overhead of a wifi connection are nowhere near enough to cause frequent problems.  So, whilst we haven't ruled out a wifi problem, my first thought is to check out the broadband.  In my tests, wifi added between 3 and 10 ms to latency, and that's not going to be enough to even be perceptible.  Competitive gamers will reasonably attempt to systematically reduce latency at every point within their control, and would involve addressing all the other gaming factors, like minimising other use on the same connection, high end kit for high FPS, high refresh rate monitors, and using Openreach in preference to VM due to the latency limitations inherent in cable.  That's all a bit different to the needs of the rest of us.

@juliemaddison can you try the following for me: Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor as that will show what's going on with your VM cable connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here (not screenshots, not a link to the chart you see when logged in) and we'll be able to see if there's a problem with the cable connection.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.  This may or may not give an obvious answer, most likely it will lead to some further questions, but if you'll persist we can probably come up with a solution.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why are you using Wifi to game with anyway?  Professional gamers prefer wired connections because wifi has all sorts of issues.  It might be worth doing your own site survey rather than relying on "smart" wifi.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If I might respectfully offer a different opinion, gaming over wifi is eminently possible if the wifi is working well, and in my observation the additional few milliseconds overhead of a wifi connection are nowhere near enough to cause frequent problems.  So, whilst we haven't ruled out a wifi problem, my first thought is to check out the broadband.  In my tests, wifi added between 3 and 10 ms to latency, and that's not going to be enough to even be perceptible.  Competitive gamers will reasonably attempt to systematically reduce latency at every point within their control, and would involve addressing all the other gaming factors, like minimising other use on the same connection, high end kit for high FPS, high refresh rate monitors, and using Openreach in preference to VM due to the latency limitations inherent in cable.  That's all a bit different to the needs of the rest of us.

@juliemaddison can you try the following for me: Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor as that will show what's going on with your VM cable connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here (not screenshots, not a link to the chart you see when logged in) and we'll be able to see if there's a problem with the cable connection.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.  This may or may not give an obvious answer, most likely it will lead to some further questions, but if you'll persist we can probably come up with a solution.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi juliemaddison, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear you've been having some problems with gaming via WiFi. Personally I use Ethernet, because of my hub's location it's easy enough to do so and I'd like to rule out any potential interference that may occur no matter how unnoticeable.

It shouldn't be necessary though and in most cases WiFi should work well, so I agree that if it's so problematic there may be a bigger issue. However I looked further into this using your forum details and here are no known issues and everything appears to be fine.

If it's WiFi specifically you're having problems with have a look at the troubleshooting tips here (virg.in/WiFiwins). You may also be eligible for WiFi Pods depending on what package you're on (more in this here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new)

Otherwise try posting some hub info & bqm data as suggested by Andrew-G above so we can check to see if there are any problems there that our systems aren't picking up.

Tom