cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi pod but Xbox still lagging

KADA
Tuning in

We previously had a non virgin booster & also a 2nd booster connected via the cable to my son’s Xbox but internet connection was really bad. I contacted VM & now have a wi fi pod which has improved the wi fi but as he does not now have anything physically connected to his Xbox it continually lags when he plays with his mates. Can I get a compatible non VM booster to connect via the cable to his Xbox to improve it & if so any particular one? Thanks in advance 

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I think what you're after is a powerline network kit, and if you don't need to extend the wifi this will probably do.  However, powerline networking is a "sometimes works" solution, because it depends on the electrical circuitry of the property.  Also, before spending any money, it is important to realise that persistent lag problems are usually not down to wireless connections, but to a poor broadband connection between the VM hub and VM network.  There's some advice below that you may think is too complicated, but if so get your son to do it - he wants a lag free connection, make him do some of the leg work to get things fixed.  No co-operation, no lag free gaming.

1) Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

2) Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you can connect the pod via a cable to the device afaik - the early ones had one lan port the later ones have 2 so that would remove the final wifi link but you would still rely on wifi from the pod to the hub

can you connect from the hub to the xbox with a lan cable at least as a test to know if the problem is wifi or the connection in general - if a direct lan cable cures the problem then maybe you could look at that as a permanent solution 

if the direct lan cable does not solve the problem you are looking at the connection - that could be a fault or just as it is - many complain that the VM connection is not the best for games

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you Tony. We have an old house with thick walls and his room is quite a way from the hub & I suspect this is the problem.

Thank you Andrew. Ha ha…it sounds very complicated but then I’m a bit of a techno phobe when it comes to broadband & Xbox etc! I’ll show him & hopefully we’ll be able to sort it it or at least improve it. I think a big part of the problem is we have an old house with thick walls & his room is probably at the farthest point away from the hub. 

Hi KADA

Thanks for posting. 

Apologies for the lag on the console. 

It more than likely will be the distance and the thickness of the walls, however, from checking the levels, your downstream levels are quite high and also one of them is out of spec. 

This needs a tech to attend to sort so I'll PM now to get the address.

Best, 

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill