cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are VM interfering with customers' accounts?

supercelts7
Tuning in

Virgin Media are clearly setting adult filters and blocking sites, without the customer's authority. I know this because, two days ago, I lost all access to Playstation services, across all devices, but ONLY on my home network. After some research, I saw that others had similar issues and it was suggested that there may be child filters enabled on certain sites.

To test this theory, I tried to access other sites of an adult nature and sure enough, I can't access them either. I went onto Websafe, no filters were active and no sites were listed in the "Blocked" list. I added Playstation Store to the "Allowed" list, switched on the filter and it still won't allow me access. Therefore, I can only conclude that VM are doing this of their own accord. I have reported the issue and am currently waiting on someone from IT contacting me.

A Playstation Plus subscription is not inexpensive and this loss of access is infuriating. It would be good if they would stop making people's decisions for them. Not good customer service, VM.

[Update] After switching off the child filter again, I can now access "adult sites", but still can't access Playstation services. Weird!!!

22 REPLIES 22

If PSN wanted to block me, surely they'd block my account and not my IP? I'm a clean player and mostly play golf, so hardly a high risk. I wouldn't know where to start with modding, so I have no idea why they'd block my IP.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@supercelts7 wrote:
If PSN wanted to block me, surely they'd block my account and not my IP? I'm a clean player and mostly play golf, so hardly a high risk. I wouldn't know where to start with modding, so I have no idea why they'd block my IP.

It all depends why the IP address is being blocked.  However it's far more likely your IP is being blocked by them than it is that VM are stopping you from reaching PSN

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. I've tried flushing the DNS and release/renew IP. No use. I also tried using the Google DNS on my PS4 set up (i.e. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) to no avail. Testing the connection on PS4 always fails on PSN.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@supercelts7 wrote:
I just tried the ethernet connection direct from PS4 to router and the connection still fails on PSN. I have full internet access, other than PSN, although I can connect to PSN on my mobile network, so it's not a PSN account issue.

Was that with the Hub in modem mode though?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

If not,  then your i.p. address would still be the same and so the result would be the same - flipping to modem mode assigns another ip address

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ok thanks. I'll try that.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you've tried changing the DNS and gotten the same result then you can rule out Virgin Media's Websafe/Virussafe as being to blame.  For these to work you MUST be using Virgin Media's DNS servers.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I've just run the PSN bot on my mobile and it suggests there's an IP conflict.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you able to post the actual wording?

I would need to run it again. This is the error code I'm getting...

20210704_073607~2.jpg

supercelts7
Tuning in

And just like magic, the matter has resolved itself and I have full access again!!!!

Anyone??