cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are VM interfering with customers' accounts?

supercelts7
Tuning in

Virgin Media are clearly setting adult filters and blocking sites, without the customer's authority. I know this because, two days ago, I lost all access to Playstation services, across all devices, but ONLY on my home network. After some research, I saw that others had similar issues and it was suggested that there may be child filters enabled on certain sites.

To test this theory, I tried to access other sites of an adult nature and sure enough, I can't access them either. I went onto Websafe, no filters were active and no sites were listed in the "Blocked" list. I added Playstation Store to the "Allowed" list, switched on the filter and it still won't allow me access. Therefore, I can only conclude that VM are doing this of their own accord. I have reported the issue and am currently waiting on someone from IT contacting me.

A Playstation Plus subscription is not inexpensive and this loss of access is infuriating. It would be good if they would stop making people's decisions for them. Not good customer service, VM.

[Update] After switching off the child filter again, I can now access "adult sites", but still can't access Playstation services. Weird!!!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another thought... what PS model do you have? Can it connect to other sites? I am wondering whether it is just failing to connect over wifi for some reason. So testing by running an ethernet cable to it would be a good test to see whether that has happened?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@supercelts7 wrote:
If PSN wanted to block me, surely they'd block my account and not my IP? I'm a clean player and mostly play golf, so hardly a high risk. I wouldn't know where to start with modding, so I have no idea why they'd block my IP.

It all depends why the IP address is being blocked.  However it's far more likely your IP is being blocked by them than it is that VM are stopping you from reaching PSN

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you've tried changing the DNS and gotten the same result then you can rule out Virgin Media's Websafe/Virussafe as being to blame.  For these to work you MUST be using Virgin Media's DNS servers.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Has your i.p. address been "blacklisted"?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No

I have also done a hard reset on my router and nothing changes.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you connect on an ethernet cable to the Hub? If so you could try putting the Hub into modem mode and connecting directly on the PS or a laptop. Modem mode will assign another i.p.address to the Hub.... just in case !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I haven't tried that, but I can't see how that would help me to access online services on my PS4.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It will help if your i.p address is actually being blocked. Have you searched on the several free blacklisted sites? It may have only recently been activated.

Of course... if it isn't then it beats me ! As no other VM customers are reporting the same issue it seems unlikely that VM have "singled you out for special treatment.

I will move this thread to the "gaming Support" forum - you might get more ideas in there

See what the IT guys say - if they do bother to call you back that is !

--------------------
John
--------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another thought... what PS model do you have? Can it connect to other sites? I am wondering whether it is just failing to connect over wifi for some reason. So testing by running an ethernet cable to it would be a good test to see whether that has happened?

--------------------
John
--------------------

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to rethink.

"I can't connect to it from my VM network, but I can from another network - that means it must be VM blocking me."  Sounds like a reasonable premise until you consider this.

When you are on your VM network, you have one IP address.  When you move to another network, you have another.

Most blocks are done based on IP address.  So it's more likely that your being blocked at the destination, i.e. Playstation Network.

Tim

I just tried the ethernet connection direct from PS4 to router and the connection still fails on PSN. I have full internet access, other than PSN, although I can connect to PSN on my mobile network, so it's not a PSN account issue.