Menu
SHRAMB0
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What's happening with the Intel Puma 6 fix?

We've been having issues with internet for months now. Originally I noticed it whilst playing League of Legends so I contacted them, and after a lot of work they confirmed it was on Virgin Media's end, so suggested we contact them and ask them to reset our internet connection on their end.

It took us 5 days before we could get in touch with Virgin Media's technical support. And that was only due to us contacting the account's support team and asking them to put us through to technical support. Once we got there, they ignored everything we told them, and told us to just turn our router off and back on again, like we hadn't done that already.

Last night I was doing my research and found out about the Intel Puma 6 issue, and suddenly everything felt better that my issue had a known cause, assuming that I am a victim of this. However I am struggling to see whether to expect a fix anytime soon?

I pay for Xbox Live Gold, but cannot play a single game online without being disconnected. I am basically losing money due to this issue. I can't ask for a refund as my parents pay for broadband, but I am expecting some sort of compensation for the money I have now wasted due to Virgin Media's issues.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: What's happening with the Intel Puma 6 fix?

AFAIK there will never be a fix

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a new firmware version which is currently only available to customers who upgrade to 350Mb. According to all the testing it makes a big difference. 

Have a look through the main thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latenc... where many tests of the new firmware have been posted over the last few weeks.

SHRAMB0
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's great, thank you!

Should we be expecting it to work down the tiers then? I think we're only on 100mb.

Do we have any idea on how long it'll take?

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am aware of a Virgin Media Business firmware thats unnoted (as a VMB customer I'm supposed to be made aware of any downtime thats planned) being pushed out this evening as the first batch, second batch is due to start next Tuesday, I would guess but nothing to confirm this, but that it'll be the same on the consumer side, as I'm not on the top tier 350mb for business, and was confirmed I would get this either this evening or next week, however the guys I've been speaking to couldn't confirm which I'd be in. Having had the firmware upgrade previously but was then rolled back to the earlier firmware due to some people having issues, it was more of an aesthetic firmware patch as still noticed latency etc... but not sure if that was the same as the consumer version.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@SHRAMB0 wrote:

That's great, thank you!

Should we be expecting it to work down the tiers then? I think we're only on 100mb.

At the moment, it's only for 350 and the trial people.  I don't think I've seen any announcement with a firm date for rollout. Some people are just upgrading to 350 to get the firmware.     The cynic in me might think it's a ploy to get more revenue Smiley Wink  However the areas covered by 350 are limited I believe.

0 Kudos
Forid200
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As it happens... I've been facing this issue for a year with Virgin and was at the end of my tether with them. Not only was I having this really annoying latency spike issue, but Virgin was overcharging me. I had to call them over 4 times to get the billing issue resolved. I finished my contract with them a few days ago, and was about to cancel. I was put through to their Loyalty Department. The women who wasn't technical but tried her best to assist gave me a good deal on the Vivid 350 package.

Biting the bullet, I decided to go with it as I am a Network Infrastructure Engineer who requires the extra bandwidth and also works a lot on Android. There's no good alternatives to Virgin in my area when it comes to bandwidth. 

Anyways, the context aside. The router rebooted once, I got the 350 configuration applied, 15 minutes later my dumb hub 3 rebooted and I got the new firmware. And I can confirm, although it's not completely solved the issues. I really can feel that it's a lot better in games, and since I have a pfSense box behind the modem. I can see that the pings have also gone down quite dramatically. Obviously, I can't guarantee it was all down to the firmware, it could've been that they increased my packet priority on their end. However, I will include that I came from the 200 package.

All in all, it looks like the new firmware is helping and making the problem a lot more bearable (CSGO is way more smoother, I no longer feel the sudden bullet delays). But the only real "proper" fix from the looks of it seems to be replacing the modem itself for a SH4. But who knows when that will be out, from the conversations I've had with Virgin. They seem to be really working on improving the SH3 (well the wireless on it...) and want it to stick around for the next couple years so they can probably get the best return on their investment. 

I haven't really got any before and after shots to show you guys. But pings to Virgin's gateway from my pfSense router has dropped from 37-57ms to a more stable 7-10ms. I've read on the forums, that the ping latency is fixed, but TCP latency still remains. I've still not done any extensive testing on this yet.

Although I've been through a really hard time with Virgin, I'm going to smile for now because of the new firmware and the new package that they've offered me for the troubles.

Thanks for reading the adventure, and hopefully you guys get the new firmware soon!

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I am on it. I got a free upgrade by phoning and complaining and being VERY clear that I knew what the problem was, puma 6, and detailing the complaints I had made and that I was going to leave but BT could understand that I needed a new phone line and took 4 weeks to do nothing so I left. 

It does make a big difference but I am having issues getting kicked from games. I cannot pin down the problem but trying modem mode to see if it fixes it. 

0 Kudos
Forid200
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI Blairuan7,

I run my Virgin SH3 in modem mode, I don't have any problems with disconnections from games. I recommend you buy a decent router and throw it behind the SH3 and it should be a lot better.

My Current setup is SH3 > pfSense (Firewall/Router) > Unifi AC Pro's for Wireless. I've built my home network from the ground up to be modern, robust and reliable. The shortfalls come from Virgin's side.

0 Kudos
thebatfink
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

@SHRAMB0 wrote:

That's great, thank you!

At the moment, it's only for 350 and the trial people.  I don't think I've seen any announcement with a firm date for rollout. Some people are just upgrading to 350 to get the firmware.     The cynic in me might think it's a ploy to get more revenue Smiley Wink  However the areas covered by 350 are limited I believe.

I don't believe this is strictly true. I am new user on Vivid 350 and I do not have the firmware and can't make my router update. There is more to it than simply having Vivid 350, this comment is misleading.

BTW my connection is awful to. I am not getting disconnects but something isn't right. If anyone tells you upgrading to 350 will fix things - think again.

Fri 15 June.png

0 Kudos