cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What package does DOCSIS 3.1 kick in?

darmo
Up to speed

What speed package do I need to be on for DOCSIS 3.1? 

7 REPLIES 7

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

If you area has been upgraded in the Project Lighting then as long as you have a Hub 4 or greater then the package will not matter, I am on 350mbs and have DOCSIS 3.1 enabled on my Hub 4 by default.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ah how do i check if i my area has been done? I see one downstream channel for 3.1 in the hub but that's it, the rest are all 3.0 and there no 3.1 upstream channels right now.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's correct.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Indeed as @jpeg1 rightly says, currently VM aren’t using 3.1 at all on the upstream channels and on only one of the downstream channels with the other 31 being on 3.0.

Theoretically you could easily get gigabit speed on just 24 DOCSIS 3.0 channels, but only in ideal circumstances with few or no other users on the segment - which in practice isn’t going to happen

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Just as an observation, seems the Hub 4 always runs with the D3.1 channel enabled, my Hub 5 (and the couple where I've seen status data for others) is theoretically 3.1 capable, and reports a DOCSIS mode of D3.1 enabled, but doesn't seem to be running the single D3.1 channel.  I presume that's why it isn't in service for Gig1 customers, and further guess that VM and Sagem are fiddling with some aspect of D3.1 connectivity, and won't turn on that channel and release to Gig1 users until that something has been fixed.

@Andrew-G wrote:

Just as an observation, seems the Hub 4 always runs with the D3.1 channel enabled, my Hub 5 (and the couple where I've seen status data for others) is theoretically 3.1 capable, and reports a DOCSIS mode of D3.1 enabled, but doesn't seem to be running the single D3.1 channel.  I presume that's why it isn't in service for Gig1 customers, and further guess that VM and Sagem are fiddling with some aspect of D3.1 connectivity, and won't turn on that channel and release to Gig1 users until that something has been fixed.

I got a Hub 5 Last November and I had read on the forums that the one gig service wasn't available yet.

My contract is up in November this year and I was hoping that the Hub 5 would get activated for the one gig service by that time.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd imagine that (by VM standards) all stops have been pulled to get the Hub 5 fully functional as soon as possible - I'd be guessing the next 2-3 months.  They're struggling to meet demand for Gig1 due to unavailability of Hub 4's,and  Openreach FTTP and altnet rollout is providing better quality gigabit options to an increasing % of VM's customers.  So VM really need the Hub 5 to work in all respects as soon as possible.

I'd be very surprised if they haven't got it mostly sorted by November.