Menu
kaneasha
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What is the STANDARD?

Can someone from virgin please confirm what my average latency should be when using your network i would like to know what standards you are setting as we gamers know low ping more kills, just received my white box from sam knows so I would like to know what should I be getting and expecting from you regarding latency and ping? And the hub3 is an absolute pile of rubbish never broadcasts 5g it's genuinely the worst peice of connectivity in the household, in the 20 first century you look at the hub 3 firmware running on it, the most boring user interface you've ever seen with next to no customization no options, look at Asus routers virgin particularly the rog range, thats what we want in our modems things like that. And you've capped your picture filesize limit to just over 1mb so I couldn't upload a photo 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the STANDARD?

@kaneasha wrote:

Can someone from virgin please confirm what my average latency should be when using your network i would like to know what standards you are setting as we gamers know low ping more kills, just received my white box from sam knows so I would like to know what should I be getting and expecting from you regarding latency and ping?

I don't believe VM guarantee latency, so there isn't an 'average'. If there is an issue diagosed on your line it would be resolved.

@kaneasha wrote:

And the hub3 is an absolute pile of rubbish never broadcasts 5g it's genuinely the worst peice of connectivity in the household, in the 20 first century you look at the hub 3 firmware running on it, the most boring user interface you've ever seen with next to no customization no options, look at Asus routers virgin particularly the rog range, thats what we want in our modems things like that.

The HUB 3 provided by VM is designed for a range of users, many of which wouldn't use the additional options available on third party routers, which would unnecessarily increase the subscription costs for a large percentage of VM customers. Want the additional features, buy your own router and put the HUB 3 in modem mode.

5G not working could be a hardware fault (No issues here).

@kaneasha wrote:

And you've capped your picture filesize limit to just over 1mb so I couldn't upload a photo 

Use https://imgur.com/ and you can copy paste whatever size image you want.

0 Kudos
kaneasha
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When your paying good whack PER month for tv broadband phones and additional tivo boxes telling people to go buy there own isn't really customer oriented to me, people want quality not ####, and why should I have to go 3rd party site just to upload a picture on a forum i wouldn't waste my time when there was no issue uploading them before, so crack on with your boring how to pointless breakdown on the reply, like you said you don't know if they guarantee latency so please don't comment and reply to me like I'm a idiot that can't resize a jpeg **bleep**

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@kaneasha wrote:

When your're paying good whack PER month for tv broadband phones and additional tivo boxes telling people to go buy there own isn't really customer oriented to me, people want quality not ####,

Many people purchase their own third party routers to enable additional features, so I don't see the issue with recommending it to you?

@kaneasha wrote:

and why should I have to go 3rd party site just to upload a picture on a forum i wouldn't waste my time when there was no issue uploading them before

Just offering alternative solutions to the problem you reported.

@kaneasha wrote:

so crack on with your boring how to pointless breakdown on the reply, like you said you don't know if they guarantee latency so please don't comment and reply to me like I'm a idiot that can't resize a jpeg **bleep**

Again, there is no evidence on VM's website, other than speed, that they guarentee anything else related to their broadband service, hence the 'I believe' response.

You insinuated 'idiot'. As I said just recommending alternatives, without coming across rude, unlike yourself.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The average on Virgin appears to be anything between 20 and 100ms, depending on utilisation at the time of the measurement. 50ms and below is considered 'good'. Virgin only guarantee speed, not latency however. 

If you are gamer, then most people prefer DSL based connections as the latency is far better, typically 10ms or less. 

I get, on average, 20ms on Virgin (which can and does increase in the evening, with spikes of upto 100ms), and 8ms on my BT DSL connection regardless of time of day, so I use BT for gaming and Virgin for my PC. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

stupid question really. latency to were. to the CMTS or to a game server in new york.
You attack others for not giving your a direct answer to your non-direct questions
so here is your answer based on what you bosted.

Anything from 1ms-10000ms

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why are you complaining about latency and the Hub's 5g in the same breath?

Latency is *always* worse over WiFi. If you want low latency, use ethernet.

And if you want an Asus router, go out and buy one.

0 Kudos