cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media boosters

Sajidahkawther1
On our wavelength

Does Virgin still provide the old WiFi boosters (powerline adapters) because I really prefer them over my current intelligent WiFi pod, the main issue is my son plays online games competitively and he needs the best WiFi he can get, however he averages around 40 ping which not ideal since the lower the ping the better chance he has at placing in leaderboards and earning money. He has recently switched to ethernet through the WiFi pod and is still getting above 40 ping and tons of packet loss maybe even more. I want to know if I can get a free upgrade to the hub 4 since that seems to be better than the hub 3 or if I can't receive powerline adapters which will give full ethernet access instead of ethernet over wireless WiFi boosters

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

And more importantly if your son is really earning money through gaming then do it property and hard wire his device to the hub via an Ethernet cable and even seriously consider if VM is the best option for an ISP 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that Virginmedia only do the Wifi pods now, the powerline boosters are no longer available.

Other options to consider is too purchase a mesh based router and use the hub in modem only mode.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

And more importantly if your son is really earning money through gaming then do it property and hard wire his device to the hub via an Ethernet cable and even seriously consider if VM is the best option for an ISP 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sajidahkawther1

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

Unfortunately we no longer supply boosters as these have been replaced with the WiFi Pods. 

We do have some tips here on how to get the best out of your WiFi but it may be best connecting an Ethernet connection from the hub to ensure a better gaming experience. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Is there anyway to use wifi pods but also have 2 different wifi channels, 1 for 2.4Ghz and 1 for 5Ghz, and if not how could i have 1 ssid but remove all devices from 5Ghz channel

Unfortunately @Sajidahkawther1 we would not advise this due to the smart WiFi feature, and without splitting the two there isn't a way to ensure they will stay on one frequency. 

Can I ask if the issues are only present on your son's device, or are you noticing this on other devices too? Also are you able to hard wire the gaming console as advised by @jem101?

Thank you