Menu
Highlighted
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are liars

Hi, This is a rant as my experience using virgin broadband has been awful. So, a month ago I was interested in virgin 350 package, on their website it says vivid d 350 is available in my area, so decided to upgrade to it. However, my gaming experience is very bad with virgin so decided to use uswitch broadband to test my connection. On their website it says the max speed from virgin is 75mbps but on virgins website it states 350mbps which is clearly a lie. Doing Speedtests on my connection the max download speed I get is 50mbps and with a ethernet connection it's generally around 75mbps which proves virgin have or lied on their website about 350mbps being available in my area. Every speed test I do I get nowhere near them speeds, always around 50mbps. Kinda feel like an idiot for upgrading now. Not happy

0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin are liars

I advise everyone to avoid virgin media. Crap broadband and terrible customer service

0 Kudos
AndyH83
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hey, I used to work as a Virgin Tech. You are probably using an ADSL speed checker that isnt suitable for many reasons. Use https://www.speedtest.net/ to get an accurate reading. Also, remember if you are using WIFi then your speed is restricted as you must use a Ethernet cable connected directly from your router to your computer.

Also, if you are testing the speed then you need to check it on a device such as a PC that has a network card capable of 1GB speeds. Consoles such as Playstations and Xbox are generally limited to 100mb or there abouts. You need to confirm the speed of your network card with your device manufacturer documents etc. The same goes for mobile phones, laptops and tablets. A lot of these have limited speed network adaptors.

I have Virgin 350 at home connected to my router via Ethernet cable with a 1gb network card and I actually get speeds of 386mb. Each area can differ for speeds though and there is a lot to take into account as I have mentioned above.

Confirm your speed with the site that I linked above first and make sure you are connected via Ethernet cable that is at least Cat5

Cheers

Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I use Speedtest.net all the time. Get the same speed, 50mbps - 75mbps. I use cat6 cables

0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If I wanted to switch which I probably will. Is that a good enough reason for letting me cancel contract for free?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you've only very recently joined you may still be in the cooling off period where you can cancel without any fees, however what you're explaining does not sound like area congestion and sounds like a fault on the connection.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1 and click "Check router status" beneath the password box you should be able to view your downstream status, upstream status, and network log. I recommend posting those here so we can check if they have any obvious signs of issue for you.
0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

There is no issue. Had engineer out yesterday. The fact my online gaming is so bad due to lag I want to leave and try a different ISP

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If your connection is as bad as you say then there clearly is an issue.

Engineers aren't infallible.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joseph90,

I am sorry to hear your frustration regarding these issues. I can see that our fantastic community members are doing their best to assist you with this.

Just to double check firstly, do you currently have a hub 3?
I can see that AndyH83 has asked you what device you're testing the speeds on, is it a PC, console or another device such as mobile phone?

If it is a PC have you been able to check the speed capability of your network adaptor? You can do this on a wired connection by going to the Network and Sharing Centre in Control Panel. Your connection should be listed under 'connections' click on this and in the next window it should list the speed of the connection in either Mbps or Gbps.

If you have the opportunity I also recommend following DreamOfCheese's request to post the details from the Network Status tab in your Hub settings.

0 Kudos
Joseph90
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom, I'm just really frustrated with this tbh and don't know what to do tbh. Had like 2 engineer visits lately, they've checked my hub, the wiring going from the street cabinet to my house and they've told me everything is fine. As I'm a big online gamer, my connection is causing me nothing but problems, lag spikes here and there, skipping in every game I play and just a general latency delay to other players in call of duty, which I don't understand as my ping is 30ms.Normally I do get a bad jitter rating on my speed tests, it's occasionally 2-5 ms but I've seen it as high as 64ms before. I've seen other people with virgin who's online gaming connection is super smooth but mine is anything but. Why is that? My ping is fine, I just don't understand. Is it the area I live in, is too many people using the same cabinet affecting my connection? I don't know what the issue is, which is I'm majorly frustrated. Anyways I'll post my stats but I already know you're gonna tell me everything's fine.

0 Kudos