Menu
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 350 online gaming feedback

Online gaming doesn't need much speed, 1 - 2Mbps is plenty for most online games, latency is the key. Remember you are only sending\receiving text telemetry data.

Wireless is affected by many external factors like as said, interference which can disrupt the wireless signal even from the best wireless router.(and clients, a wireless link is only as strong as the weakest component)

Wireless is bursty in nature as data is transmitted a frame at a time, with a station backing off after each frame to allow other devices a chance to transmit. This continual start stop will add latency which is not good for gaming.

So, wireless is not the best medium for online gaming.

As said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

0 Kudos
rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The issue I have is although my DL is 70 and my UL is 20 with plusnet I have no issues with gaming with a ping of less than 10.

I have my Xbox through the router but my sons is upstairs on the WIFI

I do not want to change provider and then have issues with online gaming. This is why I have created this post as I have placed a order and appreciate the feedback as I am not sure if I should cancel my order now

0 Kudos
rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have no issues with my WIFI connection with plusnet.

I have my sons Xbox on 5ghz as I did a speed check and it was faster than 2.4ghz in his room.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As a few people have mentioned so far, wireless is affected by a lot of variables and for the most part is outside of the providers control, even in the case the wireless performance is poor you can just use your own router or wireless access point and get a superior performance compared to any ISPs router.

Looking for comments on ISP review websites as a way to gauge the quality of an ISP is always a poor choice, most the people who give reviews or leave comments are people dissatisfied with the service or having issues. People who are indifferent or having a positive experience tend to lack the required motivation or reason to go online and leave reviews.

From my personal experience moving from a TalkTalk VDSL2 80/20 connection (which achieved 55/20) to VMs VIVID350 (which I achieve full speed from) I noticed no change in gaming performance, my pings are either the same or slightly higher depending on which game. I'm using the same equipment for wifi as I was previously as I have my Hub 3 in modem mode.
Of course your results may vary, as they would with any ISP. However if you get issues with VM and it's down to your line it's easier to get corrected than it would be with an ISP using the phone line as they'd need to get Openreach involved which was always my point of contention with TalkTalk.
chrcoluk
Superfast
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

VM is effectively a postcode lottery, if you on a quiet node it should be fine for latency sensitive gaming, but if you on a busy node with congested upstream then you may be affected by variable latency. So there is no generic answer to this question.
0 Kudos