Menu
rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 350 online gaming feedback

Hi. I am after some feedback regarding virgin broadband and gaming quality.

I have read that Ping and latency is generally quite bad with virgin?

I currently use Plusnet and get 70DL and 20UL with good ping and latency.

Virgin broadband is new to my area it literally was completed this month.

.i have two Xbox Ones in my network one via wireless and the other through a ethernet cable.

I have placed a order for the 350 package but need some feedback before the order is completed.

Thank you. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
daryls
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin 350 online gaming feedback

If its not broke don't fix it, why would you move if your happy with what you have
0 Kudos
rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Good point. Kind of seduced by the 350DL to be honest. Problem is if gaming is bad due to ping and latency then it is pointless..
0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I game regularly on 350 using my own router with the Hub in modem mode and have no discernible problems with latency or ping, depending on what game i'm playing my pings are usually anywhere between 20 - 50.

The Hub 3 is rubbish on it's own and i'd always recomment using your own router for gaming.

rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have visited a broadband review site and 99% of the reviews are unhappy customers who complain of not getting speed they pay for and constant disconnects...

0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Each to their own, VM have a habit of over-provisioning areas which can cause issues with disconnects and slower than advertised speeds but if you're in a newly cabled area this shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not happy with VM's service you've always got the option to cancel with 2 weeks of your go live date.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@rmprice1978 wrote:

I have visited a broadband review site and 99% of the reviews are unhappy customers who complain of not getting speed they pay for and constant disconnects...

Usually because they had expected to get the full speed, reliable service, over WiFi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rmprice1978
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To be fair you should expect good wifi? I was really looking forward to getting virgin when it came to my town only recently. Have to say I am a little disappointed now

0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Not with VM's Hub 3, it's a shocking peice of hardware beset with problems.

As I mentioned previously, run it in modem mode with a decent router.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@rmprice1978 wrote:

To be fair you should expect good wifi? I was really looking forward to getting virgin when it came to my town only recently. Have to say I am a little disappointed now

You're absolutely right of course. You should expect good WiFi.  But it's not that easy, as users are being caught in the middle of two converging trends.

On one side, games are getting more and more complicated and being played on faster and faster devices. This means they have to shift far more data through the internet than before.  And broadband providers are boosting their connection speeds accordingly, with Virgin now going up to 500Mb/s.

On the other side, the WiFi link suffers from a limited number of channels and more interference as every neighbour turns on more WiFi routers. This means that the basic routers supplied by ISPs do not provide the coverage and bandwidth they used to.

The answer is to provide better routers with external antennas instead of the simple internal ones, and/or additional access points around the house. And this costs money. Service providers could issue better routers, but this would put up the rental costs to everyone.

So they provide the basic router which is satisfactory for many users, and leave it to the customer with more demanding requirements to purchase the extra equipment.  Or better still, and cheaper, to use wired connections for demanding games devices. That way you get the full benefit of the faster internet. 

0 Kudos