cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

Hi Zoie,

It's now the 24th and I still see no improvements whatsoever. It appears some maintenance was carried out on 20/08/2020 at 6AM; this has resulted in constant packet loss and an even more degrading connection than previously:

20-0820-0821-0821-0822-0822-0823-0823-0824-0824-08

Could you please advise? And could you also private message me the details on how to lodge a complaint. I've been chasing this issue since 21/12/2019 and am now beginning to deem it unacceptable. I was told I'd be kept in the loop but all I'm seeing is maintenance dates being delayed further and further and no questions being answered. We've been left without a phone line on 3 separate occasions after maintenance, and now left with constant packet loss.

Thank you and kind regards,

Alfie J.

Hi,

Still waiting for an update on this please.

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi,

Appears some unexpected maintenance happened today without warning. The packet loss issue seems to have reduced marginally, but still an issue. The quality of the connection / latency is still terrible. Could I please have an update on the current status?

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi,

Still seeing large fluctuations in latency. I've heard that the September maintenance has also been cancelled. Can you please give me an update on the current situation?

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi,

It's now been over 2 weeks without any response to my previous queries. This broadband latency/packet-loss issue has been ongoing since 21/12/2019 and is still not rectified.

Please see the graphical representation of the past 6 days. I would also like information on how to lodge a complaint before taking it up with the ombudsman directly. The service I've received thus far has been unprofessional and lacklustre. Engineers have been called out; issues raised to improve the quality of the line but none of which have been carried out nor implemented. I've been asked to repeat the same tasks over and over again despite providing a heap of evidence suggesting an exterior fault.

01-0901-0927-0827-0828-0828-0829-0829-0830-0830-0831-0831-08

Regards,

Alfie J.

Sorry to hear that this issue hasn't yet been resolved yet, I have looked into your account on our system and have been advised that a new hub could help resolve the issues that you've been having.

I have arranged for a new one to be sent out to you and this should be with you in the next 5 days.

You can raise a complaint using this link here and you have two options to log this with an agent via a web chat or the other option via a web form.

The other option is for me to raise a complaint on your behalf. Please let me know if you would like me to do this or if you would prefer to use the other options to raise your complaint?

Regards

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll keep you posted and let you know when the new hub arrives. Thank you for the information on how to raise a complaint; happy to handle this from my side.

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi Steven,

The new modem arrived and I installed it yesterday. As you can see from the graph below, it hasn't made any difference at all to the previous days. I still notice large fluctuations in latency throughout the day. Back in March, the two sets of engineers that came out suggested that the cable between our house and the junction box needed replacing, and this was scheduled just before the lockdown in March. Can I please have an update on the status of this?

An interesting aside that I noticed, we had a brief landline outage recently, and in that time the internet was a lot more stable. As soon as the landline was reconnected the stability and jitter was all over the place again. It seems very much that there is some kind of induced interference. 

Please advise, I look forward to hearing from you.

04-0904-09

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update AlfieJPalmer, how are your services today.

If still having some trouble we'd need to book a follow up appointment.

Thanks, Emily.

Hi Emily,

Still much of the same regarding the spikes in latency:

07-0907-0908-0908-0909-0909-09

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.