cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi again...good luck..it has to get fixed. At present the service is pretty much un-useable. I know I could write to VM, and probably get a refund, but all I'm interested in doing is getting a working system for my daughter. 

I can appreciate that hkem and have experienced this in the past. Unfortunately we cannot get this repaired any sooner than has been advised above, our engineers are working to get this resolve but it can take some time to discover the source of the issue and get this resolved.

Please get back in touch if you need anything else from us.

Regards

Steven

Hi Paul, 

Thank you for getting back to me.

Any reason this is getting pushed back further?

I've been having issues since last year; way before the lockdown, and I raised it again with this thread in March....

Recent BQM:

june18.PNG

Is there any guarantee this will ever get fixed or am I just being too optimistic?

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Sorry AlfieJPalmer, the issue maybe more complex than the team first though sometimes it can be difficult to find the source of the problem and get it fixed, as the team need to identify where the issue is starting and make sure that the sound interference has been removed, sometimes the engineer may need to check the individual connections to see if any interference has come from customersrs equipment.

Please get in touch with us, if you need any further updates.

Regards

Steven_L

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi again Paul, well 22/06 came and went. I can see that something was happening on VM network just after midday as broadband went off twice between about 12.10 and 12.30. Sadly, the issue is the same (if anything the latency is worse). I contacted VM directly this morning (hey, I got through in just a couple of minutes!). I was told that Fault  F008126970 had been fixed and the issue closed. So any idea what to do next? As it is, the system is unusable during the day for gaming. I've attached the BQM's for immedialy before and after the reset.

Thanks again for your assistance21/0621/0622/0622/0623/0623/06

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your post Hkem.

There's currently a known area fault which may be affecting your services, I'll include the information on this below. 

Reference: F008172833

Estimated repair time: 02 JUL 2020 09:00

You may be able to see updates on this on our service status page although sometimes this does not show, but you can also quote the above reference to any of our agents for this.

Thanks, Emily.

hkem
On our wavelength

Thanks Emily, any idea what this fault actually is? I am certain there is some sort of environmental issue, that is made worse when the network in my area gets busy. Everything is fine overnight, then from about 9.30 in the morning..laggs and jitter cause gaming to be impossible. Am I on part of the network that is part of the old Croydon cable  company .. with old and tired copper and cabinets!!?

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

The equipment we use would always be our own as we're not liable to use any other companies equipment. 

The fault is in regards to utilisation.

Thanks, Emily.

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi again, well it is still the same today. Are you saying that there is congestion on the network that is causing the problem? As apposed to a physical fault?

test new 3-7 09.00.png

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi hkem, 

thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear you have been having issues, I have done some remote checks and can see there is an engineer booked, please let me know how your visit goes 🙂 

Zoie