cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

Thanks for getting back to us @AlfieJPalmer

Please can you raise this with the attending technician?  If necessary they can flag this with the networks team.

Regards

Lee_R

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@AlfieJPalmer Show the technician the BQM (you might need to explain, it some don't understand what it shows) and ask them exactly what sort of SNR fault disappears at night, then reappears when people wake up and start using their connection, gets worse through the day, is barely usable through the evening, then yet again evaporates around midnight in the style of Cinderella's magical coach.

Despite the repeated denials, it looks like over-utilisation, it walks like over-utilisation, and it quacks like over-utilisation.   And it's been going on now for years by the look of it.

I think the BQM speaks for itself:

lol.png

Hi Andrew,

Yeah I already know - don't worry. As you can see from the constant repetition from the forum it's the same old responses over and over. This is going to be the 9 or 10th technician in a year that's come to look at a "SNR" issue or some other fault (that wasn't a fault etc). There have been numerous faults fixed over the past year but hasn't amounted to any noticeable change at all. I'm aware it's over-utilisation, and going to keep replying until somebody actually does something or raises it higher up the chain to the relevant teams. I'm keeping a record of the duration and scapegoating as we go.

Hi Lee,

Could you please let me know when on the 18th (today) this "fault" is supposedly going to be looked into/fixed?

Regards,

Alfie J.

18th has come and passed - still no notifications or updates for the packet loss and noise on the line fix as you can see illustrated here:

19-01.png

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AlfieJPalmer

Thanks for the reply! Just to check, how has your service been over the past couple of days?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis,

Not great:

19th19th20th20th21st21st

Hi @AlfieJPalmer.

I can see on the account that there is currently works ongoing in your area to resolve an SNR issue. The estimated end date is currently set at 28th JAN 2022 at 14:20. I would recommend rebooting after this time and posting your BQM after 24hrs and see if any improvements are noticeable to your connection. 

This is an estimated end date so the date can be extended if the fault has not been fix at our end. Let us know how you get on. Hopefully this will resolve your issues.  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Groundhog Day, it would seem.