cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi Zoie, Thanks for your update, I don't know anything about an engineer being booked, no one has contacted me. Any ideas??

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will pop you a PM so we can take a look at this to see when its for 

Thanks,

Zoie

Hi Paul,

I understand that maintenance was performed on the 22/07/2020.

It looks like our IP Address has changed. I cannot see any drastic improvements to the latency jitter and packet loss though. Please see attached BQMs after the change of IP. What else can we do to try and rectify this?

22/0722/0723/0723/0724/0724/0725/0725/0726/0726/07

Thank you in advance.

Alfie J.

Hi Alfie,

Thank you for coming back I have had a look at thing our end and cannot see any issues at all, your levels are exactly where they should be, our I P address is dynamic so can change unlike a static I P which you would have with a business account.

Kind regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I appreciate you taking the time to have a look. The levels may be correct, but I assume there is something else underlying potentially causing issues as you can see from my BQM graphs attached in the previous post. I have friends with the same package/service and their quality/connection is much more stable: no packet loss, no ping spikes to 150+ etc. We were advised that changing the cable from our house to the junction box was required, but I'm unsure if this was ever performed. Could you please check that for me? 

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi AlfieJPalmer

Thanks for coming back to us. When were you told about the cabling needing replacing was required please?

I've had another check today and everything is showing as fine on the account. If you're still having issues, can you do a PIN reset for me on the router?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

We were told about the cabling when the second set of engineers came out. I can try a PIN reset, yes. Just to clarify, we're still experiencing high latency, jitter, and packet loss every day: this can be seen on the BQM graphs. I've also reproduced the pings and loss when isolated to a single PC connected to the network so I can't see it being an internal issue.

Thank you once again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AlfieJPalmer 

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the late reply from us, we've been very busy and doing all we can to help each community member here. 

Have you since been able to try a pin hole reset? Has this helped at all? 

Let us know and we'll go from there 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hollie,

I've tried PIN resetting my router multiple times; it seems to me that the problem is exterior as I still see the same fluctuations when connected directly to the modem.

Could you please advise?

Kind Regards,

Alfie J.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AlfieJPalmer, 

Thank you for your reply, I have located your account and I can see you are affected by an SNR outage the estimated fix date is the 24th August 2020 and the reference is F008328444

thanks,

Zoie