cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin Media,

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing extremely high latency, packet loss, and ping spikes throughout the day. The download/upload speed seems to be fine, but the ping makes online gaming near impossible. I've tried resetting my router and modem, as well as changing router but no luck.

Here are some screenshots from thinkbroadband over the past week:

Saturday 07/02/2020Saturday 07/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Sunday 08/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Monday 09/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Tuesday 10/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Wednesday 11/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Thursday 12/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Friday 13/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020Sunday 14/02/2020

Please could you advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Alfie J.

119 REPLIES 119

Any updates at all? Still seeing large jitter daily.

Can you please check the utilisation in my area? Happy to PM you details if you reach out to me via private message.

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi, I have posted BQM to another stream and replied to Mike Robbo on a thread entitled Ramdom Ping Spikes + massive lag playing games so I don't want to get involved in multiple threads. However, I sent a load of detail to Mike a week ago and nothing back yet. The BQM is SHOCKINGLY bad, making internet gaming unusable. The latency gets worse during the day, with loads of packet loss, no good for my pro-gamer daughter who is house bound. Have a look at that thread if you wish and you can see the results, which pretty much look like a bad fault on the network. I just need someone from VM technical to look. Any ideas how to contact them?

hkem
On our wavelength
Hi Jodi, I have been experiencing same issues since February, and it got significantly worse since network has got busier. I don't want to start multiple streams up, but I replied to Mike Robbo on the forum entitled Random Ping Spikes + massive lag playing games. I have had BQM trace running for a while and it looks terrible. I don't know if Mike has forwarded anything to VM engineering, but he did suggest that something was definitely wrong. I moved over to VM from BT specifically for my daughter, who has been pretty much housebound for a year as she is pro gamer. at present she is unable to use the gaming systems that she has and she's pretty distraught. Obviously due to current situation it is impossible to contact VM vis usual fault callout procedure due to call centres being shut. Can you offer any advice or help. It would be much appreciated. thank You

AlfieJPalmer
On our wavelength

Hi,

Can I please have an update on this. 

I was advised that cabinet maintenance and fixing the "over-utilisation" was to occur yesterday: 17/06/2020, but I see no improvements whatsoever today. 

Regards,

Alfie J.

Hi AlfieJPalmer,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community, I can advise that the utilization issue in your area under ticket number F007922978  , this has now been extended to 22/07/20 @09:00.

Kind regards

Paul.

hkem
On our wavelength

Hi, yes I am seeing exactly the same. I upgraded to M350 package, and it made NO DIFFERENCE to latency issues. I managed to get an engineer to trace my lines right back to my individual devices, and he told me that all was "green"

The problem as I see it is the part of the Virgin Network that I'm on has loads of congestion (a VM engineer told me that back in April).. It is fine overnight then as the day progresses it gets worse until gaming is unusable.After the outage during early hours of Wednesday morning, it was then OK until about 3pm in the afternoon, then the jitter and lag kicked in. I run a Broadband Quality monitor to both my house, and a friend who lives in a different VM zone (also a gamer). The BQM's are totally different, so it is obviously a local issue. 

It is just too busy for the VM network to cope This is Tues night/Wed Morn. BQM after outage.png

This is today to 12.30. It started jittering and lagging from around 10.00...the usual time

BQM to 12.30 18 June.png

BQM of different VM area...where it works.png

This is BQM of a VM area 1 mile from me, where it works

What do VM have to say about that!!

Hi hkem,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, I am sorry you are also having ongoing issues.

I can also advise you are also suffering with an area issue your is an SNR issue (Signal to Noise Ration)  I can advise this has been raised under ticket number F008126970, the estimated fix date is 22/06/20 @ 13:55.

Kind regards

Paul.

hkem
On our wavelength
Hi Paul, thanks for getting back so quickly. Will this fix it though? I've been having these problems for several months. I upgraded at the end of April specifically to get rid of jitter and lag (an engineer called me on 28th April the day after I placed the order and told me the network was congested). I'd dearly love to have it working, my daughter is housebound but a pro gamer..she can't stream during the day which limits her ability. Thanks again for quick response

Hi Hi hkem,

Thanks for getting back to me, SNR issues can be really bad I am currently suffering with the same issue so much so I have had to come back to the office until sorted, the issue may have been going on a while before reported, I advise giving it until resolved if you are still having issues afterwards then we can revisit this for you.

Regards

Paul.