cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valorant - 100% packet loss, routing issue

Codey1234
Joining in

My internet is great any time other than when I'm playing valorant, where suddenly the latency spikes up to 1000 constantly. I've spoken with the support team for the game, and after going through their steps and performing a ping plotter, they've told me there's a lot of hops with 100% packet loss, which is the reason for my high ping. None of the support steps they gave were able to help, so they recommended talking with my ISP as there is something wrong with the routing.

7 REPLIES 7

ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic

@Codey1234 wrote:

My internet is great any time other than when I'm playing valorant, where suddenly the latency spikes up to 1000 constantly. I've spoken with the support team for the game, and after going through their steps and performing a ping plotter, they've told me there's a lot of hops with 100% packet loss, which is the reason for my high ping. None of the support steps they gave were able to help, so they recommended talking with my ISP as there is something wrong with the routing.

Anyone who makes this claim is too ignorant to be allowed to discuss the issue. The fact their tech support staff get paid to talk such nonsense is embarrassing, considering it's so basic. I've seen several threads where these staff keep making these stupid claims. You don't have to be an expert network engineer to understand this.

The golden question to ask these idiots: if you get 100% packet loss at hop X, then how can traffic get to hop X+1 just fine? How can it simultaneously lose all your traffic, while losing none of your traffic?

If you see any support staff make this claim, tell them you want to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about because they are not qualified to discuss anything regarding routing or networking.

Source: I'm a network engineer at an ISP you've heard of who deals with this stuff for a living. Actual routing issues that is, not Valorant support staff's imaginary nonsense.

That's super interesting, I'm going to respond to them and ask what's up. They gave me that information based off this screenshot of the pingplotter they made me go through.PingPlotter_2021-07-02_21-04-39.png

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

In the screen shot those devices on the internet that get 100% packet lose are still sending the traffic forwards it just basically means that the device doesn't actually respond to the ping request, this is quite normal for quite a few devices on the internet, you will get similar results if you do the same for google.co.uk.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DJ_Shadow1966 

Is it me though or are they getting the odd really high ping?

The high ones are pretty infrequent though as the average ping is still only around 28ms on hop 8 even though the highest is 722ms

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yeah seems pretty high the max, let me test on mine checked and do not get anywhere near the figures getting max of 30ms.

Regards Mike

As above, its probably routers, their primary job is to route. ICMP traffic is wasteful so they just throw it without telling you, no need, why waste valuable time doing that etc. If the connection died there, then yes thats actual packet loss and likely an issue, but its 99% chance of just being a router doing its job.

Can you pingplotter to something else, steampowered.com or something? The fact you have super high ms at almost the first hop, which is your aggregation node suggests there is actually a problem in VM land, but would expect you to be having other serious issues.

johnend87
Tuning in

This is very interesting...

I have a similar issue and similar experiences with attempting to resolve it, except, my issue isn't with my ping, but with the server tick rate.

In game you can see the tick rate (which I didn't think could be affected by my machine or network connection) jumping all over the place, sometimes as low as 70.

I contacted Riot support and got some information and trouble shooting tips that didn't resolve the problem (would cause hitreg issues and various other weird things to happen).

I sent through a Ping Plotter screenshot with reasonable latency.

Capture.PNG

The conclusion from Riot is that the issue is on the ISP's end and not theirs.

Their recommendation to me was to use a VPN to alter the routing (?) while Virgin fix the problem. Would love to know if there is anything else we could do to get back to playing without this happening to be honest.