cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable for gaming

marcdarlo
Tuning in

Hi my broadband is unusable for gaming after 6pm please see attached graph this seems to be a common theme looking at other posts

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f5cb02128ee5029e44ae24f077c52f91834507e5-03-05-2022
21 REPLIES 21

RedGooner
Super solver

Could be an area issue, if its over subscribed.

What is your setup ??

How you gaming PC or Console ??

Wired or Wireless ??

How many people accessing the internet in your House ??

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

i'm using 

hub 3 with 200mb wired on PC & console only 2 peolpe using the internet in the house 

game like COD are un-playable because of the lag

please last night graph

marcdarlo_0-1651693759062.png

joek66
On our wavelength

Yep, looks very familiar to my thread. Peak time congestion seems to be affecting a lot of people.

well if my area is over subscribed its going to have 1 less at the end of the month when my contract is up no point have fast BB if you cant use it for gaming because virgin don't care about their customers.

Yes over utilization is areas is bad.

But if your in an area thats ok, its down to the SH, it was never designed to be used for gaming. Then the SH3 and SH4 had the useless Puma chipset issues.
I have been using VM for internet since 2007, in them days you just got a modem and you had to provide your own router.

Then they came up with the SH (Superhub), nothing is super about it.

I have used the SH, SH2 SH2AC (beta tested), SH3 and SH4, all have been useless in router mode, when you put them into modem mode, and add your own router its a different story. I can game on PC, and PS5 with NO issues.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

joek66
On our wavelength

I get that a router upgrade will likely improve wireless connections, but a wired direct ethernet connection should be better than using modem mode and a third party router. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@joek66 wrote:

<snip>   but a wired direct ethernet connection should be better than using modem mode and a third party router. 

No, you are still relying on the Hub to do the routing and switching etc. I'd rather put my faith in a Router that is made specifically by a Company whose sole business is Networking gear.   You cannot compare a VM Hub to a £200+ Router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

joek66
On our wavelength

How is a third party router connected to a Virgin hub (in modem mode)? If it's by ethernet I don't see the difference...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@joek66 wrote:

How is a third party router connected to a Virgin hub (in modem mode)? If it's by ethernet I don't see the difference...

See my earlier reply. You cannot compare any ISP router to a “proper” router. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks