cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable ping

Xandi
Tuning in

I am getting unstable ping for a while now and it is annoying to play any games. I used to get 25ms in League of Legends and below 40 in every other game but now it just keeps on jumping. Using the M200 with an ethernet cable connection to the pc. Is there a fix to this?

This a link to a snapshot of the ping graph which is considered to be a "good day" 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a9837efb17bdb3d877f297a5f50c4cd39bd7650f-03-05-2021

30 REPLIES 30

Any updates on this issue?

Hi Zandi, 

Thanks for coming back to us here. 

Checking the account, I'm not seeing any open faults affecting you currently. The Hub stats are all looking fairly good and I've double checked the utilisation on your cable and there is none. 

Some of the SNR levels are bordering on the edge of being too low though so I'd like to get an engineer out to resolve these. Hopefully this should resolve any issues you are having then 🙂 I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Xandi,

Thanks for coming back to via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. 

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The engineer came yesterday and said that everything looked good as well as the SNR levels were good. I believe he also changed a loose cable outside but it did nothing as the same issue is still going on.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d845f842bf65c518bbe9953e33be7feb6820d078-08-09-2021

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I remain of the view that the problem is most likely a utilisation issue.  BQM profile fits that, VM staff are saying the hub status is good and there's no area faults.  What else is there?  I note the staff say there isn't a utilisation problem, but that will be because there's nothing relating to this posted on the fault system.  And the reason there's nothing posted on the system will be because either:

1) The issue has been investigated by the networks team, but the threshold criteria VM apply when looking at utilisation problems haven't been reached, meaning that although there's a problem, VM won't officially acknowledge it, nor spend time and money to resolve it.

2) There have been insufficient complaints, so the problem hasn't even been referred to the networks team to look at.  If it's this, it'll take a month or so of badgering VM to get it referred to the networks team.  They'll take a month or so to investigate.  If they conclude it's below the threshold, go to response 1.  If it is above the threshold, it goes into the pot of schemes needing money, and if you're very lucky it will get fixed.  Previous cases suggest that even in this best case, you're looking at seven months, sometimes more. 

I'd suggest you ask for the problem to be escalated to the AFM for a further look.  If that produces no improvement then you either live with this and hope that some remote day the problem gets fixed, or you kick up a fuss and demand to be released from any fixed term contract without penalty.

I second that.

That has to be over utilisation, I have some experience with that issue myself.

Unless you enjoy long drawn out fights, I would find an alternative provider asap.

Hi @Xandi,

Thank you for the update. I am so sorry to hear that the issue appears to be ongoing for you.

Do you know what checks and changes the technician performed? Did they advise you of anything regarding this problem during their visit?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

The engineer checked the connections inside and outside and everything on his device as well as those SNR levels in which everything was green. The engineer then said he found 1 loose connection underground outside which he fixed. He also said that it is most likely utilisation issue. I just wanted to know the update of this since this was logged with the networks team to be investigated but I will most likely be changing to sky ultrafast plus as I heard some good things about it and it is available in my area now.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Xandi,

Thanks for your reply. I do apologise for the issues you're continuing to experience.

I'm afraid there is no update as of yet from our networks team on this I'm sorry.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

akashmash
On our wavelength

Is there any update at all on this? I'm suffering from similar issues, looking likely I'll have to leave Virgin after so many years of using them for their speeds if they haven't fixed this for you yet @xandi.

Too many issues since I was overpromised a working mesh wifi system with a new WiFi 6 router (hub 4 doesn't have WiFi 6 and booster speed is a fraction of the main router).