cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable ping

Xandi
Tuning in

I am getting unstable ping for a while now and it is annoying to play any games. I used to get 25ms in League of Legends and below 40 in every other game but now it just keeps on jumping. Using the M200 with an ethernet cable connection to the pc. Is there a fix to this?

This a link to a snapshot of the ping graph which is considered to be a "good day" 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a9837efb17bdb3d877f297a5f50c4cd39bd7650f-03-05-2021

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I suspect there is no fix.  I suppose it MIGHT be other causes, but that BQM is a classic over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then peachy from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working perfectly when there isn't too much traffic.   Nothing you can do to improve matters, this is caused by there being more network traffic than VM's local equipment can handle.  Data packets are queued for fractions of a second at the pinch point, which often causes no problems for measured speed or casual web browsing, but destroy latency for gaming or videocalls,

In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment.  In these circumstances there is often a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do carry out improvement works (don't base any hope on promised fix or review dates). 

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I suspect there is no fix.  I suppose it MIGHT be other causes, but that BQM is a classic over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then peachy from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working perfectly when there isn't too much traffic.   Nothing you can do to improve matters, this is caused by there being more network traffic than VM's local equipment can handle.  Data packets are queued for fractions of a second at the pinch point, which often causes no problems for measured speed or casual web browsing, but destroy latency for gaming or videocalls,

In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment.  In these circumstances there is often a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do carry out improvement works (don't base any hope on promised fix or review dates). 

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Xandi

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you've been having some broadband issues recently. 

I have located your account from your forum information and at the time of writing, we have no congestion issues listed; there are no known area issues at all currently. We can see that you rebooted a couple of days ago and all signal levels seem to be ok for the package you are now subscribed to. 

We can see that you have since been in touch with us since your post on Monday and changes have been made - how have things been since you called us; are you still experiencing any issues?

Please do let us know how things are since the changes and we can go from there

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Still having the same ping issue.

This is my latest ping graph:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/27e826a9590489a7370f3ab7e21edd79aa69b2a2

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @Xandi - you only experiencing the issue in the evenings? 

Can you please reboot for us today and see how it goes this evening for us? 

Katie - Forum Team

I have restarted my router at around 2:15pm today and this is my live graph from today.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/27e826a9590489a7370f3ab7e21edd79aa69b2a2

I would not get your hopes up about getting it fixed.

I have exactly the same problem, and they still after months of back and fourth have no idea what's wrong.

You dont happen to be anywhere near the reading area do you?

Billing area 31?

If you are then restarting the router or playing around with cabling will not help.

I am in billing area 03 

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Xandi,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've just had another look at your account, and I can't see any issues, everything looks good from our end. How has your connection been over the weekend? Are you still experiencing problems?

Thanks,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Still the same problem