cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitch Stream Inconsistency

Chris1138
On our wavelength

I upgraded to Virgin Media back in March as I began streaming on Twitch. I have the M200 package and up until late October, had no issues at all: could stream for up to 6 hours or more at 1080p, 60FPS, no problems whatsoever, using an ethernet cable from the Hub to my PC.

However, recently, I have encountered a recurring issue where, 9 times out of ten, I will get to anywhere between 90 - 120 minutes of streaming when suddenly my software (Streamlabs OBS) will report dropped frames, and then my stream will drop out entirely. When I attempt to restart the stream or check the Twitch app, my internet connection cuts out again entirely for a few moments. When it returns, everythign else I use the internet for is fine, but I cannot restart the stream for more than a few minutes before my connection goes again.

Outside of streaming to Twitch, it's incredibly rare or me to experience a loss in internet connection, whether ethernet or Wi-Fi, using any other device or during any other activity (watching Netflix/using my work laptop/downloading podcasts on my phone etc). My download speed never drops below 150MBPS, and my upload rarely drops below 15MBPS.

I know this is not a software or PC issue, as both me and my partner have experienced the same issue on different streaming software on two different PCs with different encoding/bitrate settings. I wondered if perhaps I had an upload limit in my contract, but it specifically states that there is none, and also I have streamed for a solid 6 hours in one session recently with no issue (the 1 time out of 10 it hasn't died on me!). Luckily I do not rely on Twitch for income, but it's been incredibly frustrating to start every stream praying that I can actually go the full 3-4 hours, rather than 1hr 40 before the stream inevitably dies.

I am in the E17 postcode area, and have been experiencing these issues for the last month and a half: using the service status function on the website, reconnecting all cables and ports, resetting the Hub and all the methods suggested online have yeilded nothing.

2 REPLIES 2

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chris1138

Thanks for posting and apologies for the broadband issues. 

I have done a system check today and some of your downstream power levels are out of spec. This will need an engineer visit to the property.

I shall send you a PM now to book this in.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Chris1138

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, this tech visit was booked in. It can be tracked and re-arranged if needed, in your online account

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill