cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 2 Vs. Hub 4 for gaming?

Sigma
Fibre optic

I currently have a Superhub 2 (not the AC version) and have received an email offering me a Hub 4. Looking at the FAQ, the SH2 would be deactivated 6 days after delivery of the Hub 4, leaving me no way to go back to it if I were to change my mind.

I'm not sure what to do, as I am not having any issues with my SH2. I don't know whether to take an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, or whether I should take the upgrade.

If you have upgraded from a SH2 to a Hub 4, what are your thoughts? A worthwhile upgrade or not?

3 REPLIES 3

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the hub3 and 4 have the well documented puma chipset problem - search and you will find lots of info - there are firmware updates that helps solve the problem but they are sticking plasters

will shout @jbrennand who will give you much more info but imo if you are happy with the SH2 stay with it - the only reason o change is if you want more speed as the 2 will not go past 200

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@-tony-   Cheers

My lad (a semi-pro gamer) threatened me with fearful vengence if I replaced our SH2 with "that cheap pile of doggydooz" (a Hub3) 🙂

That was at the height of the Puma6 chipset fiasco a couple of years ago - which persisted in the Hub4.   It was finally "circumvented" via software/firmware "fixes" - but those have seemed to compromise the Hub3/4's Poundshop performance in other areas

I would stick with the SH2, unless you want speeds above 200 (my lad doesnt need it) when it requires an upgrade, or if your connection is suffering from high utilisation issues on ethernet connections (is it? - you said it was all fine though).

And then stick it in modem modem with your own better quality Router and wireless equipment.

As you say... if it aint broke...

Another comment....  the Lad thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your consoles and devices is always the best way to go, so plan for doing that.

But running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise".   You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sigma
Fibre optic

Thanks for the replies. I might as well stick with the SH2, given that it works fine. If I'm forced to swap to a newer hub to get faster speeds at some point in the future, I'll do it then.