Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Re: Steps to fix Area 15 issue (Packet loss)

pings alone cannot prove a problem. all routers are designed to prioritise routing traffic over pings. Pings need more CPU time so are designed to be dropped and given low priority.

0 Kudos
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 95
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
sentinal55
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Do you work for VM?

Sounds like your just making up excuses for them, there is definitely a problem. 

All these threads and not a single mod is answering its because they know there is a problem.

Also a lot of people stream in this day and age and yes we make some money from it and this is being impacted. It might not be our Business but we are being financially effected not to mention were paying for a service were not receiving. They were actually advertising my package as "for gamer's" well i cant play no games.  

all129
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 95
Flag for a moderator

"pings alone cannot prove a problem. all routers are designed to prioritise routing traffic over pings. Pings need more CPU time so are designed to be dropped and given low priority."

Indeed.  But (a) the evidence is not pings alone and (b) VM do not make available to us other tools. 

And something changed for me on 21 December at c.04:00.  Prior to that packet loss from pinhs was rare and small.  After it wasn't.  I have posted the BQM charts showing the dramatic change.  Of course that might be the result of a change in the way the BQM charts are compiled.  But it's supported by the results of simply pinging (with a Windows command).

Then there's the other evidence I've posted and told VM about: erratic speeds downloading from news.virginmedia.com; and pages not loading.

By all means suggest how these effects can arise locally - despite a VM engineer calling yesterday and pronouncing that he'd fixed the problem ("noise") by changing 3 F plugs. 

0 Kudos
sentinal55
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 15 ISSUE

Apologies for the problems, networks have been investigating and reporting that the fault should now have been restored.

If latency issues are still evident please let us know and we'll report back.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

from another thread regarding this issue
0 Kudos
Ger_Onimo
Tuning in
Message 16 of 95
Flag for a moderator

It looks like the problem is still here, unfortunately! 

If you compare the graphs that different users have been submitting, you can see that the packet loss is identical at different locations.

Just another piece of evidence that this is a flaw across the Area 15 network, and not just a few select modems.

packet-loss.jpg

0 Kudos
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 95
Flag for a moderator

can you believe no mod has even commented on any of this ?!?!?! what the hell are virgin playing at
0 Kudos
Freyrune
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Posted this in the other thread.
I would suggest tweeting to @Virginmedia about this issue, that way many people can see how incompetent this company is.

all129
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 95
Flag for a moderator

"If you compare the graphs that different users have been submitting, you can see that the packet loss is identical at different locations."

Well that could be an artefact of BQM's system.  That's why I think it important that people provide evidence of other pings, and evidence of other things (such as erratic download speeds).

Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Just got off the phone to them again, they told me they only take note when a high number of engineers are called into a certain area, my engineer is coming the 8th and that was booked around the 22nd so i mean lets be honest this will take weeks to resolve.
its easier for me to cancel so i think i am just going to bail out early guys sorry.. they have been crediting my account with a loss of service, so i haven't been paying so i will use this credit and pay off the cancelation fee and use the engineer on the 8th to back me up and try and pay 0 cancelation fee.
wish i could stay for the ride but its so bad its shocking.
0 Kudos