Menu
bogus_service
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, I've got a 300MBit Fiber package...

and I suspect that bandwidth is for the entire region...
lat.png

Explain that latency...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: So, I've got a 300MBit Fiber package...

Kind of hard to really.

I mean you have not given us anything to go on. How are you connecting to the HUB? Wired CAT6 cable? Wifi 3 rooms and 3 solid walls away? To next doors?

What are you measuring? Last time I looked speed-tests didn't have an FPS read, so I assume its in game? Or not? Who knows?

You need to connect ONE device to the HUB with a decent quality cable and speed-test that set up, to give you base line. Then we can help solve the latency issue.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
bogus_service
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

...Re: So, I've got a 300MBit Fiber package...

Oh yeah.. Like the problem is on the user's end by default... but here we go, as I'm starting to get fed up with Europe's worst broadband (I should put this word in quotes)....
So, a Hub 3.0 connected to a NetGear NightHawk X4S to which I connect through an ASUS PCE-AC88, no walls in-between...

Also, somehow, for some strange, inexplicable reason, outside of peak hours it works perfectly fine.

So, the fact that packets start queuing at evening hours hints that the infrastructure is not what is advertised....

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: ...Re: So, I've got a 300MBit Fiber package...

It's not about assuming the problem is on your end by default, it's about removing as many variables as possible and ruling out as many things as possible.

Wifi by nature is a pretty chaotic variable to have when troubleshooting latency or speed issues, it's always best to check over a wired connection.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bogus_service
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Wifi by nature is a pretty chaotic variable"...

According to my experience with Virgin's networks in- and around London (maybe the whole island???), the infrastructure seems to be a more chaotic variable, and as I've said: the patterns point towards Virgin is quite simply lying about their network capacity, and hiding behind the wording of their contract to shrug off any possible complaints....

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The patterns point was edited in after I submitted my previous message, considering Virgin don't actually expose their network capacity it'd be difficult for them to lie about it.

As I'm not a superuser or forum team member I can't currently see the image in your first message as it hasn't been approved yet, however from what Kippies said it doesn't sound like it gives enough information or data for anyone who replies here to make any informed suggestions.

Rather than go on the offensive it'd be easier and less time wasting for everyone if you posted information such as a speedtest over a wired connection, the network status (downstream and upstream power levels) from your Hub 3 status page (in modem mode go to http://192.168.100.1/ and click "Check router status" below the password box), and set up a BQM/CQM graph (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality) which will monitor the packet loss and latency to your IP address (you need to ensure your router is configured to allow WAN/external ICMP echo requests.)

It's useless for me to mention, however so is the hyperbole that VMs entire UK network is poor, but my current experience with VMs network has been positive, my download speed never dropping below 400mbps and my latency remaining stable throughout the day.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Also, somehow, for some strange, inexplicable reason, outside of peak hours it works perfectly fine."

there is a possible reason outside the vm network.

You use "ASUS PCE-AC88" so wireless. at peak times the wireless envirment can change. more people using wireless means more wireless problems..

Until you test using a wired gigabit connection on speedtest.net no way to know if its the network, wireless or the game servers.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You also don't seem to have mentioned which game it is, LoL used to have lots of peak time issues that were unrelated to specific ISP's because the traffic was all going through a single peer that didn't have the capacity to handle it which caused issues for lots of people in multiple countries, is this the only game you're noticing issues with and where is the game located, as mentioned you need to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue reliably, without traces or path pings its even harder to narrow down the exact cause of the issues, you also haven't listed the power levels of your hub either

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps the OP just wanted to sound off, rather than give details that might risk exposing an own goal.