Menu
andeebreigh2
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow upload speed

Hello we have the 200mbps download speed package, and we do actually get a consistent 200mbps DOWNLOAD speed which is great, however being a streamer I am becoming frustrating with the very low upload speed we keep receiving , its between 10-12 on a GOOD day but recently its dipping to 0-5 which is rediculous considering the amount we pay, now we've been told the box outside has been damaged and engineers are going to repair it, that was 2 months ago, what is going on??? 

0 Kudos
Larkum
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speed

Hi,

I know some of these may seem like suck eggs questions but rule out a couple of thing whilst waiting for admin to come back, hopefully they will read all the comments before replying to you.

What setup have you got? 

I.e. Are you using a HUB 3.0 only or is it in modem mode with your own router in its place?

Have you done a speed test with a cable connection direct into your router/Hub to your computer to see if that makes any difference to rule out a WiFi issue.

And in the words the IT cowed; ‘Have you tried turning it off and on?’

Regards

Larkum

VIVID 200, Joined VM in November 18 with a Black Friday deal.
Mesh Network - (HUB3.0 in Modem mode)
iOS Devloper.
Humble NoBody who tries to share his knowledge and can’t always get in right as don’t have the almighty powers and knowledge of the Admin, but if I can help I will try my best, but please do note it maybe wrong.
0 Kudos
andeebreigh2
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am using a hub, the device which i stream from is a PC using an Ethernet cable, and i have performed Internet tests from that, and yes I have turned it off and on again several times lol 

0 Kudos
Larkum
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hay,

Well I can’t surgest anything on that then, It will be over to the Admin team to have a look, they have more powers and knowledge then me sat in bed on my phone unable to sleep. But atleast when they come back online they can see what you have tried and know your setup.

I do hope they fix this for you.

Regards

Larkum

VIVID 200, Joined VM in November 18 with a Black Friday deal.
Mesh Network - (HUB3.0 in Modem mode)
iOS Devloper.
Humble NoBody who tries to share his knowledge and can’t always get in right as don’t have the almighty powers and knowledge of the Admin, but if I can help I will try my best, but please do note it maybe wrong.
0 Kudos
Bradlewis
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest. Is it dropping to 0.5 after you have been streaming?

Virgin media Cap their upload speeds (I assume they still do as its been a while since i've streamed) so when i used to stream at 1080p for a few hours VM would cap me for going over their "limit" and it would drop to that speed (0.5) for the next few hours.
0 Kudos
andeebreigh2
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's while I'm streaming, a viewer or myself would notice lagging and then of course my frames would start going crazy, that's when I'll see the massive dip

0 Kudos
Bradlewis
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Whats you bitrate set at? maybe its too high and causing it to crap out?
I remember it taking me quite a while to get my set up right without hitting those silly VM caps.

Im on the same package as you and my OBS settings are a bitrate of 3500 - 720p 60fps. Any more than that it can cause my connection to become unstable and can start to get dropped frames.
0 Kudos
andeebreigh2
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Im actually lower 2800 bitrate, 720p at 30fps lol and not gonna lie, I used to stream at much higher settings with no issue, it's only been the last couple months very frustrating 

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Bradlewis wrote:
Out of interest. Is it dropping to 0.5 after you have been streaming?

Virgin media Cap their upload speeds (I assume they still do as its been a while since i've streamed) so when i used to stream at 1080p for a few hours VM would cap me for going over their "limit" and it would drop to that speed (0.5) for the next few hours.

There is no longer any throttling or caps on upload speeds

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Bradlewis
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nice, about time too 😄

Thanks for updating me
0 Kudos