cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slightly Used Internet Connection + Puma Chipset in SH3 = Poor Gaming

simonmanch84
Joining in

I've been having really inconsistant packet latency for the last 3 months or so that seems to be getting worse. I'm on M600 with the SH3 in modem mode. I'll disclose from the start that I'm a Cisco Engineer in my line of work, and probably have an above average network setup at home. I have an enterprise grade firewall connected to a Cisco Catalyst switch, and most of my equipment including the gaming PC is hard wired. Whats happening is that my ping is nice and low, between 15/30ms depending on the server. Then out of nowhere, latency to the servers will go above 150, for a second or two and then go back to normal.

I've since installed an OpenWRT running SQM Cake to combat the obvious bufferbloat that my connection suffers with, sitting betwen my firewall and t]he Super Hub - This has brought my score on the waveform bufferbloat test (https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat) from a D down to an A/A+ depending on the time of day, but it still has this random blip every few minutes which results in either a missed shot in CS:GO or a pause and shift/jump in Rocket League. I've tried deploying QoS on my Layer 3 switch, QoS on the Firewall, disconnected all but a single PC for testing, including disabling my wireless access points, nothing seems to prevent it. I've even tried rate limiting the connection down to as low at 100mbps by manually configuring my port to be 100mbps full duplex, but nothing seems to prevent it, so I don't believe its anthing to do with a congested connection from my side.

Is this likely the rumoured bug with the Intel Puma chipset in the Super Hub 3? 

BT have just ran FTTP past my house, and i'm seriously considering switching to them when my contract expires, as this is getting beyond a joke now - you can see from many in this forum that a lot of us are having these problems and are getting fobbed off by VM. I've only stayed with VM for all these years as the competition couldnt come close to the speeds that VM could, but now that they can I'm going to need a lot of persuasion not to switch. 

What do I need to do to get a SH5? and is this any better? or is it a case that my area is just oversubscribed and / or DOCSIS3 isn't suitable for these sort of speeds?

As I speak the issue is very bad today, so bad infact I'm only getting a B grade on the waveform bufferbloat test, with the odd latency during downloat in the 400's!!!!

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=d10f7a79-382b-4422-a5f7-c9e8ca7f7cb9

Any ideas?

41 REPLIES 41

Hi Vikki,

Annoying as it is having to do so, I've put my Super Hub back into router mode - this will however make my online games worse due to now having to Double NAT, so this will be a strict 24hrs thing. I fail to see what difference having it in router mode makes to you checking my signal and noise values, or utilisation of the Virgin Media network in my segment, but alas I'm co-operating as the performance has been dreadful for a few weeks / months now and seems to be getting worse.

Regards
Simon

Is there a minimum speed service level on M600? if so I doubt this sort of speed meets it...

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14361782115

simonmanch84_0-1676580529251.png

Seems to me a peak time slowdown...

simonmanch84_0-1676583196275.png

simonmanch84_1-1676583221785.png

simonmanch84_2-1676583242722.png

@simonmanch84 wrote:

Is there a minimum speed service level on M600? if so I doubt this sort of speed meets it...

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14361782115

simonmanch84_0-1676580529251.png

It doesn't, no. Should be at least 50% of maximum.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Vikki_M wrote:

Please put the VM Hub back in Router mode for at least 24 hours and then we can run accurate checks for you. 

You will find nothing wrong😞

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Simon,

Yes we do have a minimum speed guarantee.

The guaranteed download speed is 50% of the advertised speed of our service on the date that you placed the order and is set out in the speeds table we send you. You need to keep your Virgin Media Hub plugged in, switched on and set to enable us to obtain speed information from it, which will help us to diagnose any problems. 

This speed guarantee is for the speeds being delivered to the hub.

Was that speed test done on a hard wired or Wireless device please?

If it was wireless, please do a hard wired test and post the results. 

Please pop back to us when you can, 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All my tests are on CAT6 Gigabit Ethernet full duplex. 

For information, from the same wired PC just now, same browser, PC not been rebooted since the last test... 

simonmanch84_0-1676635168482.png

My SQM Cake Appliance limits my downloads to 600mbps and 35mbps upload to prevent bufferbloat, so I'm not expecting it to reach the 690mbps that the Super Hub is configured for, but there just isnt any consistancy and gets worse in the evenings.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @simonmanch84 

Your ookla speed test picture shows a download speed of 483.43Mbps and upload of 33.00Mbps - whilst not ideal it is more than the minimum guaranteed speed.

The measured speed could be affected by programs running on the actual device.

What speed is shown to  your hub and device when using https://samknows.com/realspeed/  ?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes, depending on the time of day, I easily get over the minimum speed guarantee. I get the slowdowns at peak times, specifically after 5pm...

As for the samknows test... well, not sure how reliable that test is to be honest...

simonmanch84_0-1676636108109.png