cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber banding/lag

d6m6dem6n
On our wavelength

I'm getting rubber banding and lag in online games, at the moment I'm playing battlefield 2042, it's unplayable especially at night, i might me getting good speeds but the quality of the connection is shocking. Never used to get it so please help to sort it, get nowhere with your "tech support" I'm on PlayStation 4 pro wired with a cat8 ethernet cable to modem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So far (15:45 on Sunday) that could just be noise, and I wonder if the hub stats are good?

The usually giveaway of over-utilisation is a BQM showing a mess worsening in the evening that magically clears up at half past midnight, remains clean through the early hours, and then kicks off again gradually from 7am to 10am, depending on local traffic patterns.  Leave the BQM running because over a couple of days you'll see if this applies. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Let's see how latency and packet loss are on your connection: Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

Hi thanks for your reply, I've shared the live link below, had it running since early hours, it looks to have been ok until this morning, so it looks like over usage in my area at peak times. Virgin media don't want to know so looks like I'll be leaving.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b508aa0dd2394506cdc1574098974c338f3bf7c4

So far (15:45 on Sunday) that could just be noise, and I wonder if the hub stats are good?

The usually giveaway of over-utilisation is a BQM showing a mess worsening in the evening that magically clears up at half past midnight, remains clean through the early hours, and then kicks off again gradually from 7am to 10am, depending on local traffic patterns.  Leave the BQM running because over a couple of days you'll see if this applies. 

Well its 1.05am and its been rubber banding all night, look at bbqm now, proper poor if ya ask me, got sky install in two week. Even of it is the game server then that monitor shows virgin is poor and no good for gaming.

d6m6dem6n
On our wavelength

Looks like alot of people are having same issues with virgin media, oh well there's only so much loyalty i can give at this price, so I'm out.

The BQM spikiness between 12:30am and 7:00am indicates there's a possibly resolvable noise issue, but the bulk of the BQM does look like over-utilisation.  Judging by what I've seen posted here I'm not sure if the level indicated would qualify in VM's eyes as a problem, because they don't set themselves a very high bar in all matters of connection quality.

If planning to leave, I suggest you don't cancel until the new connection is in and proven for the cooling off period.  That means VM get another month of charges, but if for any reason the new connection was delayed then you've still got a connection, and if it turned out to have totally unusable speed, or turned even worse latency (that's admittedly unlikely) then you can cancel penalty free and tolerate VM.

stephenVM
Tuning in

Hey did you get a fix?  Mine has been unplayable for a week now..

Thinking of leaving now even if they do charge me a fortune to leave.

No, it's still the same, but I've tried the game on a 5g hub connection and it's still the same, thinking it might be the game servers. Can I ask what game you are getting it in?

@stephenVM Thinking of leaving now even if they do charge me a fortune to leave.

If there is a connection fault that you can produce evidence for and VM can't fix despite being given the chance, there's a process where you should be able to leave without paying the eye watering early exit fees, but it can be slow, and it's usually a quicker and better outcome for all concerned if the fault can be rectified and you get what you're paying for. 

I'd suggest you start a new thread (as it's very difficult to respond to multiple problems in one thread) and we can see if there's something that can be done to fix the underlying problem.  Most connection problems can be fixed; a few are difficult and require persistence to get resolved, and a tiny fraction are over-utilisation faults (local congestion) where the outlook is bleak, and very, very occasionally there's miscellaneous faults that fit no category but VM seem incapable of addressing.  When VM works it's great, I'd say leaving ought to be a last resort.